America's Cup

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now that’s something you don’t see very often.
A 4 minute lead evaporating
Just shows how it's never over until...... it's over!! Like potting the final black in snooker, getting the winning double in darts or sinking the final putt. NZ never stopped believing.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting day today!

Need Steve's expert comments. Was today (ie race 8) a result of one mistake by NZ and then severe bad luck on the Italians. Or was the Italians a mistake as well?

I've only seen the highlights, but from what I saw the kiwis dropped off their foils because they made a mistake by gybing where they did. A bit harder to tell for the Italians, the wind was light so it could have dropped off their foils just as a result of physics. It could equally have been because they made a small error in the tack and because of the light winds they didnt have any margin for error.

The biggest mistake of the day though was probably the Italians sail choice for the first race.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only seen the highlights, but from what I saw the kiwis dropped off their foils because they made a mistake by gybing where they did. A bit harder to tell for the Italians, the wind was light so it could have dropped off their foils just as a result of physics. It could equally have been because they made a small error in the tack and because of the light winds they didnt have any margin for error.

The biggest mistake of the day though was probably the Italians sail choice for the first race.
Ta.

Have to say though, it was gripping stuff in race 8. Especially when the Italians came off the foils. Would they, could they, get back going before the Kiwis made up the gap.