America's Cup

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WOW, just WOW!!!! What an insight those 2 videos are...... way beyond what I have felt I was watching.
Hard for me to tell, but I don't think you have to have had sailing experience in order to enjoy this spectacle once you have an idea of the 'rules of the road' at sea & how they can be used tactically........ as in that final race 'crossing' between Ineos & Prada which was such a close thing. It may have 'battery' & heavily, software supported, that got them to that final scenario but without the coordinated teamwork on board it wouldn't happen.
This is flying by the seat of your pants....... roll on Sat..... :eek::D:D

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll agree, the videos were fascinating - and I expect they would have been even more so if I'd understood more than about a quarter of the technical stuff. Dont know why, but this 'grabs' me whereas the land equivalent (ie F1) just leaves me cold.
I agree... I must say it is so much closer to F1 than I ever thought.... I never realised that they could 'trim' the foils & rudder to the extent they can.
The closest F1 gets to this racing-wise is when there are rain showers, tyre changes etc. They'd have to introduce junctions & roundabouts, involving rights of way, to get close to where America's Cup is nowadays. Like F1 we're talking multi-millions needed but when you listen to Nathan it's pretty obvious they're very down to earth guys who started on dinghies & maybe sail boards etc.... rather like Lewis Hamilton starting on carts but has now gone strataphonic if that exists haha.. computer says it doesn't. Computers in everything now. Wife just had tyre guy out to look at tyre-pressure light showing on our electric vehicle. Transpires that the valve that messages via Blue-tooth, has been damaged during a recent tyre re-fit. £50 for a replacement though it's a Social Services vehicle. Yes no escape from technology these days...... fascinating times.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi @backwoodsman & anyone else that may be 'lurking' on this thread ..... I don' t know how much you've been following these guys on Mossy Sails but, even though a lot goes over my head, which isn't surprising as they're talking from an incredibly high technical position, the insight they provide is still very enlightening.
This is their predictions vid & a good watch....

Come'on INEOS!!!!...... with the 2nd Test starting, this is going to be an exciting weekend.

EDIT...
Even more insight here .......
also into Jim Radcliffe - Mr INEOS himself & what drives him to support this America's Cup team to try to bring back home the world's old competition Trophy. Oh, god I'm excited!!!! :eek::eek:

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ta. I'll give it a watch.

Not entirely sure I'll be up at 3.00am to watch the first race of the final. Just wondering how best to catch up without stumbling across the results?
(Good sports day tomorow.- Prada Cup, then the cricket, and then Forest on the telly at lunchtime. Mrs B is going to be cheesed off )

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi @backwoodsman & anyone else that may be 'lurking' on this thread ..... I don' t know how much you've been following these guys on Mossy Sails but, even though a lot goes over my head, which isn't surprising as they're talking from an incredibly high technical position, the insight they provide is still very enlightening.
This is their predictions vid & a good watch....

it’s funny I was speaking with Tom (Mozzy sails) recently about his YouTube videos on the Cup going viral. He has gone from his channel getting a few hundred views on videos to his most popular America’s Cup video getting the best part of 200k. It’s amazing what a great topic and saying things that others aren’t can do. Rob and Tom (Partington) are both good guys, with good technical knowledge. Partington is a recent world champion in a very technical type of boat and recently beat me to a European title in 2019.

I’m now going to tell Mozzy that he has made it to a golf forum where the Cup is being discussed.

Last edited:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
it’s funny I was speaking with Tom (Mozzy sails) recently about his YouTube videos on the Cup going viral. He has gone from his channel getting a few hundred views on videos to his most popular America’s Cup video getting the best part of 200k. It’s amazing what a great topic and saying things that others aren’t can do. Rob and Tom (Partington) are both good guys, with good technical knowledge. Partington is a recent world champion in a very technical type of boat and recently beat me to a European title in 2019.

I’m now going to tell Mozzy that he has made it to a golf forum where the Cup is being discussed.

When people with knowledge and expertise are able to talk coherently and engagingly about their obsession, it is often compelling.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Just curious as to why are you on about flowerbeds?

Thought you would be a bit outraged that the knee wasn’t taken at a sporting event you are invested in.

It’s because 2B been asked not to use the terms snow flake, snow drop or petal .

I think that’s it’s a valid question as he has criticised other sports for not taking the knee, but isn’t criticising the sport he is very interested in.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s because 2B been asked not to use the terms snow flake, snow drop or petal .

I think that’s it’s a valid question as he has criticised other sports for not taking the knee, but isn’t criticising the sport he is very interested in.
Give over pedal....... Hahaha..... you couldn't make it up :eek::eek: