America's Cup

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that was a proper race this morning!
Nip and tuck the whole way until that last tack. Great race?
Plus..... before the race all the inside story on American Magic. I can't imagine a F1 team exposing themselves in that way. AC maybe the realms of the mega-rich but it was 'all hands to the pumps' when it came to rescuing that boat.
All in all 3hrs+ spent absorbed by everything. Then to win the race with what IMO was a marginally slower (handicapped) boat, was simply incredible. Ben Ainsley is a master. I'm not sure but I thought it was GB's smart rounding of the final mark that put them in a position to win.
The crews fully miked-up but not an obscenity to be heard. True professionals!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The Americas Cup is the pinnacle of the sport in terms of technology, but it is a relatively small community. Everyone across all the different boats knows each other extremely well so there is no way that they were not going to help the Americans when they were in trouble.

The technical fault the brits had with there downhaul would have hurt them less if the breeze was stable, so they did a really good job with deciding how to set their power and managing it through the gusts and lulls. The distance sailed stat really highlighted how differently they had to sail the boat.

As much as Ainslie is getting the headlines, only natural as it is his team Giles Scott is telling him where to go, all the teams are envious of having someone dedicated to tactics, especially someone of his quality. For me, Ben should have 1 less Olympic medal as Giles should have been selected for London 2012.

Having them mic’d up is great, but I can assure you there will be plenty of swearing going on.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t know anything about the New Zealand boat so I am really looking forward to the main event

The Kiwis are very quick, or Atleast they were the last time they raced. The interesting part will be to see how they have developed whilst the others have been racing.

Look at the previous cup in San Francisco to see how the defending champion can be on the back foot straight away.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t know anything about the New Zealand boat so I am really looking forward to the main event
Got to get through the Final yet.... will be very disappointed/surprised if we don't.
Next racing is this Fri when A-Magic should be back on the water several times..... first to get 4 wins meets Eneos in the Final...... winner then challenges NZ.

Last edited:

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got to get through the Final yet.... will be very disappointed/surprised if we don't.
Next racing is this Fri when A-Magic should be back on the water several times..... first to get 4 wins meets Eneos in the Final...... winner then challenges NZ.
Dave am not saying we will get there, I am just interested in seeing the kiwi boat perform. Be great if we do get there, but if we dont i will still be glued to it?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am looking forward to Friday for 1st 2 semi final races?
I think it's pretty clear who Ineos will be facing in the Final. That capsize has just knocked the stuffing out of USA....... they have no confidence in the start shenanigans & were easily out manouvered today. I hope the racing is a bit closer tomorrow & the USA make better sail choices. The Final is 13th Feb to 22nd..... first to 7 wins

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two boats sailing around a couple of pairs of bouys ought to be boring as hell. But then you watch it ... !

Awesome. Incredible that these boats are doing 55mph or more at times

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They need to add something......small cannons, grappling hooks if close enough....
You must have missed the last race that Ineos had with the Italian boat...... there was a very close coming-together just before the finish. Today was a bit of a procession due to the USA boat being uncompetitive. Tomorrow may be different.... the actual Finals definitely will be. Will be some real match-racing there.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it's pretty clear who Ineos will be facing in the Final. That capsize has just knocked the stuffing out of USA....... they have no confidence in the start shenanigans & were easily out manouvered today. I hope the racing is a bit closer tomorrow & the USA make better sail choices. The Final is 13th Feb to 22nd..... first to 7 wins
The americans are not as good Dave. This could be a whitewash

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bad luck befalls the Americans again, so today was not competitive. I am so looking forward to the final and I think Luna Rossa has the advantage of more adjustments to the boat under more race conditions. Good luck to both team ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having seen todays racing, one cant but appreciate that the boats are technological marvels. But doesnt today also suggest that the boats are now too complicated? Is there not an argument for the racing to be done by boats that rely on wind power & manpower alone - rather than complex electrical systems?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having seen todays racing, one cant but appreciate that the boats are technological marvels. But doesnt today also suggest that the boats are now too complicated? Is there not an argument for the racing to be done by boats that rely on wind power & manpower alone - rather than complex electrical systems?
That is what they rely upon. The electrics & hydraulics are powered by the guys on the grinders. Like F1 they have to operate on-the-edge to take development onwards.
American Magic failed as it'd been pretty much rebuilt in a couple of weeks with no time to test the reliability of the systems.

I re-watched the Ineos v Prada final race today & really enjoyed it even knowing the result. Looking forward to some really close racing from this Sat. Gonna be a blast!!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is what they rely upon. The electrics & hydraulics are powered by the guys on the grinders. Like F1 they have to operate on-the-edge to take development onwards.
American Magic failed as it'd been pretty much rebuilt in a couple of weeks with no time to test the reliability of the systems.

I re-watched the Ineos v Prada final race today & really enjoyed it even knowing the result. Looking forward to some really close racing from this Sat. Gonna be a blast!!

So - and bear in mind I'm asking this out of total ignorance - do those "fin things" (sorry, don't know the technical name) only go up & down if someone is winding? If they stop winding, the things stop moving?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So - and bear in mind I'm asking this out of total ignorance - do those "fin things" (sorry, don't know the technical name) only go up & down if someone is winding? If they stop winding, the things stop moving?
As far I understand they, the foils & sail setting, are operated by hydraulics, the pressure of which, is maintained by the grinders.... I guess & from my observations, there is some sort of gauge where they can see when their efforts are required & how they are doing with it. I'd be surprised if Prada don't make the necessary modifications to allow their tactician, whose been grinding as well, to concentrate solely on that task. Obviously the sail-trimmers & helmsman have an input as well, hence the busy Comms interchanges. Then there's also the influence of tidal flow through the Gulf which won't be as significant for foilers as it would be for the old displacement boats but must still have some affect. The NZ'ers should have a better knowledge of the wind & tide effects which might tip the balance when it comes to the Final.
Steve will be able to add more or correct what I'm just 'making-up' :cool:
All in all there's another month of very close racing which should be very similar to the last Ineos v Prada match-up. Can't wait as the 2nd Test starts on this Sat as well + the Aussie Open has started..... almost don't want golf to restart & get in the way... but then again

EDIT - here you go

EDIT, EDIT - have just found these, so will tomorrow when I digest them.

CAN'T WAIT..... :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The power for the hyraulics to control the foils and rudder comes from onboard battery packs. The power from the grinders is used for everything else pretty much.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The power for the hyraulics to control the foils and rudder comes from onboard battery packs. The power from the grinders is used for everything else pretty much.
I think it's this that I was commenting on at first - ie stuff being run "off the electric" (batteries). Stuff which is powered & I would guess is fairly complex? Its fine that the competion is a test of both sailing ability and technological ability. And yes, its good to see technological boundaries being pushed all the time.

But i just wondered when there scope to move more towards "if you can move it yourself, fine, if it needs a power source, then not fine"? Would still rely on innovation & technological development. Either way - not going to stop me watching & marvelling at it ? Never thought I'd find myself saying it, but can't wait to see some sailing finals to start. (And thence onto the Cup proper)