America's Cup

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is F1, match racing, on water..... the yachts FLY on foils at 50+mph rather than sailing in the traditional sense.
The Challenger series has just started today & goes on for the next 4 weeks.
The winner then faces the holder... New Zealand.
Englands greatest ever Olympic sailor (all be it of tiny singlehanded dinghies) Ben Ainsley is in charge of the British yacht. Today he out-foxed the Italian boat before the start line then outstripped it in the race....... little expected as their form in preparation has been very poor but in classic F1 style they've made changes that have revolutionized performance.
The TV coverage is spectacular.
The setting in Auckland Harbour is scenic & it's SUMMER!!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst the Americas Cup is traditionally a match racing event, recent editions have moved more towards a technology race. The boats are incredible pieces of kit and show the limits of what can be done.

Really happy for Ben and the team today, but it is a long road ahead. I know a lot of the team personally from when I used to race with them so it’s great to see them put in a performance.

If anyone wants to watch the greatest comeback in Sport then they should watch the Cup from San Fransisco. The Americans were 6-0 down in a first to 7 series to come back to win 7-6, incidentally Ben came onto the American boat when they were 6-0 down.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst the Americas Cup is traditionally a match racing event, recent editions have moved more towards a technology race. The boats are incredible pieces of kit and show the limits of what can be done.

Really happy for Ben and the team today, but it is a long road ahead. I know a lot of the team personally from when I used to race with them so it’s great to see them put in a performance.

If anyone wants to watch the greatest comeback in Sport then they should watch the Cup from San Fransisco. The Americans were 6-0 down in a first to 7 series to come back to win 7-6, incidentally Ben came onto the American boat when they were 6-0 down.
Wow.... must be a special experience to sail with those guys.... gotta be some hairy moments on the Solent, sailing near the limits.
My sailing in the past 50 years, has primarily been cruising on chartered boats off the W coast of Scotland where I got my Y/M Off-Shore.
Really love watching the Big-boat stuff though....... & looking forward to tomorrows race with the Italians,

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Another good day for the Brits!

Serious drama in the second race with a capsize for the Americans. The team debrief will be a very tense one after what can only be a poor decision resulting in the loss of the race.

Fortunately all of the team members safe, which has not been the case previously.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My only experience of sailing was two weeks with the sail training association onboard the schooner the “ Malcolm Miller”. It was a brilliant two weeks sailing from Southampton to Concarneau, Paulliac near Bordeaux,back to Guernsey then home. Sailing between ushent and the tip of France being Hairy.
I must of done something right as they asked me to go back at Bosuns mate. Very happy days.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
GB wins from behind in heavy airs. Only team to be unbeaten.
USA capsize when in the lead & attempting a very difficult & unnecessary manoeuvre. I doubt Ben Ainsley would have made that call. Coming into to this USA were favourites. Next race are Fri.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
GB wins from behind in heavy airs. Only team to be unbeaten.
USA capsize when in the lead & attempting a very difficult & unnecessary manoeuvre. I doubt Ben Ainsley would have made that call. Coming into to this USA were favourites. Next race are Fri.

USA finally made it back to the dock well after dark, when the boat got lifted out a large hole in the hull was revealed. Lots of work to do now to get the boat back on the water.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really looking forward to tomorrow's race. British Boat V Italians........ the USA have pulled out of the Round Robin series but will contest the semis. INEOS needs just one more win to go through.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really looking forward to tomorrow's race. British Boat V Italians........ the USA have pulled out of the Round Robin series but will contest the semis. INEOS needs just one more win to go through.
Are you sure it’s on tomorrow Dave. I thought they were doing round 3 and 4 on Saturday