Americans are still playing !

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Just been messaging with some U.S clients and so long as they observe social distancing, and common sense, no hire carts, no locker rooms etc... they are still allowed to play....

Granted it 's a big country especially outside of the cities so maybe we can get to this point soon? Or maybe they're simply behind us and will shortly be in a stricter lock down situation?

Not sure what the ROW are doing ? But nice to dream as opposed to just dwelling on how serious this currently is for us currently.

GBC

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Judging by some of the pics online, social distancing is not being adhered to. It would no doubt be the same here unfortunately.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just got off a conference call and my colleagues course over in Illinois is opening with a number of obvious restrictions. No clubhouse open, no guests, 1 per buggy, keep 2 meters apart, cups shallower etc

If the weather is nice in the uk this weekend i dread to think what the parks, countryside and beaches will be like

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Just been messaging with some U.S clients and so long as they observe social distancing, and common sense, no hire carts, no locker rooms etc... they are still allowed to play....

Granted it 's a big country especially outside of the cities so maybe we can get to this point soon? Or maybe they're simply behind us and will shortly be in a stricter lock down situation?

Not sure what the ROW are doing ? But nice to dream as opposed to just dwelling on how serious this currently is for us currently.

GBC

Nobody is playing in Massachusetts. Course and club itself are both closed.
Course, in particular, never opened this year. Snow melted just in time for health crisis.

D

Deleted member 17920

God help us if we’re going to base our decisions on what the yanks are doing.
Well we would have been still playing if we could behave.

As some complete tossers in this country think everyday is currently a bank holiday then we have zero chance and now as punishment we are all told to sit in the naughty corner.

Diamond

Visit site

As some complete tossers in this country think everyday is currently a bank holiday then we have zero chance and now as punishment we are all told to sit in the naughty corner.

Let’s See how many members are your club die from Covid19 then tell me we could still be playing.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Golf is also being played in Sweden and Norway. I think there is an argument for allowing golf to be played in the UK at the moment, as it can adhere to social distancing rules.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hang on. That makes no sense! There’s a time line issue. Golf clubs (and other sports etc) were closed. People (including many golfers, who stupidly carried on playing), broke the rules. We couldn’t have “carried on” as the shutdown needed to happen to enable people to break the rules.

Have you been on the Vimto again Glyn? ?

Also, not sure if you’ve seen the figures, but the US is now the global hotspot for Covid-19 with almost half a million confirmed cases. I’m certainly no expert (on anything really, as you know), but I’m not sure that they are who I’d be looking to for leadership in this matter.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every state has its own laws in the USA.
So that’s why some are open.
Have had lots of emails from clubs I have played.
Even Disney courses are open.
If we let golf play ,then any non contact sport is going to want parity.
Tennis, Badminton, the list would be big.
The government have got it right imo and if we don’t behave it will be total lockdown.
We have nothing to learn from the USA.
It’s not the golf as such it’s mainly the travelling to get there.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Golf is also being played in Sweden and Norway. I think there is an argument for allowing golf to be played in the UK at the moment, as it can adhere to social distancing rules.

Ok. I'm every doctor in the country who advises you to stay in and not play golf.
Present your argument

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf is being played in Denmark

One or two balls only, 10 minute intervals must not turn up at the club until about 10 minutes before the tee time and must leave straight away.

The biggest thing in the UK is it would be seen as unnecessary travel.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Golf is being played in Denmark

One or two balls only, 10 minute intervals must not turn up at the club until about 10 minutes before the tee time and must leave straight away.

The biggest thing in the UK is it would be seen as unnecessary travel.
Not sure if you were trying to make comparisons, but the deaths per population in the UK are 3 times that of Denmark currently - so arguably dealing with a different situation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if you were trying to make comparisons, but the deaths per population in the UK are 3 times that of Denmark currently - so arguably dealing with a different situation.

No not really just pointing out another country where they can play.