American Golf or...

D

Deleted member 16999

He's not really talking about you though is he Paul? He's talking generally. People will always buy if the price is right, regardless of service.

As for keele driving range, he's been very clever actually. People are talking about the place. A lot. This will show up in searches for the place, so whether you like what he's said or not, it's exposure to the place, which can only be good for the business.

Many business leaders are controversial on purpose, they try to stir things up to get a reaction. Now I'm not saying that's what he's done, maybe he stumbled into this by accident, but people will go there and this thread wont hit his business in the slightest, if anything it is more likely to increase it.

Either way, out of my area so I wont be going, but if it was, I'd be more inclined to go now, just for a look.
It was Phils initial generalization that people will buy regardless of owner or customer service if it's cheap enough, that I was responding to, Forum members are not going to Trump purely based on owner and nothing to do with price, others have stated they will not use Sports Direct due to Ashley and some have stated they won't be going to Keele because of his posts on here. It may not affect those business's on a massive scale but can still do long term damage, somethings are more important than money.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was Phils initial generalization that people will buy regardless of owner or customer service if it's cheap enough, that I was responding to, Forum members are not going to Trump purely based on owner and nothing to do with price, others have stated they will not use Sports Direct due to Ashley and some have stated they won't be going to Keele because of his posts on here. It may not affect those business's on a massive scale but can still do long term damage, somethings are more important than money.

Na, the other way round more likely. SOME may boycott, it wont even be a ripple in the ocean, however. Many people think they have more sway than they do. I'm not saying that you shouldn't stand up for your principles, you absolutely should, but they wont have the reaction you would hope is all I'm saying.

D

Deleted member 16999

Na, the other way round more likely. SOME may boycott, it wont even be a ripple in the ocean, however. Many people think they have more sway than they do. I'm not saying that you shouldn't stand up for your principles, you absolutely should, but they wont have the reaction you would hope is all I'm saying.
Fully admire those who do this, not me, sold my soul to the devil years ago😃

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have popped into AG on occasion - staff are ok in a sort of 'read the manual' kind of way.

I live about 1/2 mile away to the AG as opposed to 5 miles to my club, however I tend to use our local pro shop for most purchases.

This is probably due to having a few quid on account any way from 2s or competition winnings, but I'd also rather pay a few quid extra on gear and have a well stocked shop at my club, than if herds of members took their custom to AG and we ended up with just a sweetie shop at the club.

Also, having had my irons and woods fitted at Kingsacre and purchased through my club - I'd note that the fitting process offered to me at AG in comparison was...erm...more of a choosing process than a fitting one.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not my point though, people boycott buying things for all sorts of reasons and companies still make profits.

1 person in 10,000 boycotts for a period
the bad headlines, remind everyone else, they should pop in next time, everytime someone cries WE SHOULD ALL BOYCOTT yadayada SHOP, the people go yes great idea, but none of them do (Normally) and all that has happened is yadayada shop has had a mention which is never a bad thing

Almost nobody shops based on conscience , they shop on cost

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have popped into AG on occasion - staff are ok in a sort of 'read the manual' kind of way.

I live about 1/2 mile away to the AG as opposed to 5 miles to my club, however I tend to use our local pro shop for most purchases.

This is probably due to having a few quid on account any way from 2s or competition winnings, but I'd also rather pay a few quid extra on gear and have a well stocked shop at my club, than if herds of members took their custom to AG and we ended up with just a sweetie shop at the club.

Also, having had my irons and woods fitted at Kingsacre and purchased through my club - I'd note that the fitting process offered to me at AG in comparison was...erm...more of a choosing process than a fitting one.

Surprised at that Dan, a couple of theguys in that shop are great in my eyes. I do agree though, AG is for purchases I can't get at the club (Taylor Made balls for example). Would much rather my money went into the pro than a chain but both have their place for me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reasons I go to american golf

A, they price match any cheaper price I see
B, their staff dont push any sales on me and always go the extra mile for me
C, their warranty on stuff is great. I had a ping bag head cover rip they gave me a temp one whilst the correct colour was ordered and once it was in let me keep it
D, their club benefits aren't bad, for example £10 voucher on my bday which saved me money off my next purchase also now their doing 3 free rounds a year sent to your email
E, General offers like when I spent over £100 they gave me £25 off tee off times
F, Their card is brilliant.. I can chuck away the receipt as everything is on the card. Easier when having to return for any reason
G, Their gift cards.. brilliant for people to give me for bdays and also my work if they give you vouchers for awards and long service american golf take them.. job done

dont think their are many reasons to not go american golf really

Last edited:

LinksTurf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I no longer live near an AG, but do visit one thats around 90 miles from me when I am in the area. The biggest reason for visiting is the range of products and the occasional bargain. I've had very good experiences at various AG's over the years, and some terrible experiences. They are not all the same, and like any other business they have staff turnover, so even going to the same one some time later can result in varying experiences. It is therefore difficult to generalise. I have a Direct Golf near me. Again, it depends who you get how good your experience is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Won't use AG for any clubs after three bad experiences but got a great deal on a Garmin G8 and their swing analysis tool Truswing. They do some great clothing too. Just because I've had bad fitting experiences why would I boycott somewhere where I can get some good accessories at a decent price

Richuk123

Head Pro
Visit site
with the demise of Direct Golf (the irony of John Andrew, who burned many local shops into the ground with his prices, then got done over himself by Mike Ashley), AG have now have the retail market tied up.

The nearest one to me, i have never had any issues. Not pushy but quick to put you on to Wilson, Fazer etc... (as they earn the most commission from these). For me , The best retail model would be to pay them a far better basic and no commission, therefore you will get non biased sale. a few american outlets have switched to this model, and customer services scored improved as a result.

So, until Mr Ashley decides what he will do with the Direct Golf Name , brands and stores, then AG can sit back and relax.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although this is a old thread I actually have visited both Keele Driving Range & American Golf in Newcastle frequently.

I visit Keele on my lunch for the range and have bought clubs from both.

They both have pro's and cons:

- Keele have a much lesser range than American Golf in terms of pretty much everything, less clubs, less balls, less clothes, A LOT less putters which is one of the clubs I bought from AG instead.
- Keele's strong point is the fact they have an actual range rather than a electronic machine. I always prefer this despite not getting 'accurate' readings. I always like to see the ball fly rather than hit it in to an electronic screen.
- American Golf's staff were much much more welcoming and friendlier than Keele, although sometimes pushy at least you know sometimes they are there if you need them. Keele being predominantly a driving range rather than a shop maybe don't see it this way as most people don't go specifically to buy golf clubs.
- Keele's prices sometimes are brilliant shown, they don't show offers etc and their marketing inevitably is just not as good as American Golf.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I prefer to use my pro who will price match also as he is with foremost (I think)

In certain cases I think the fitting service at AG is not backed up by enough training/decent enough tech. The launch monitor at the Stirling one is very poor for example (was a few years ago mind). Other than that mostly positives to report.

My main gripe with them is second hand gear which is generally more expensive than elsewhere and dirty in store. It just makes me think why on earth someone would trade in clubs at AG without scrubbing them and then why do AG put them on the shop floor without having had a scrub. Also a proper artificial surface in the putting areas would be welcome.

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My AG will price match anywhere and I have a great relationship with all of them, they know me by name (not sure if thats a good thing) I always get the best trade in prices from them as well American Golf is here to stay and will probably only get stronger