Amazon about face

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Interesting that Mastercard put their rates up to about the same and at the same time as Visa, but Amazon aren't questioning that... because you can get an Amazon Mastercard, maybe?
"Amazon two face" rather than "about face" may also have been an appropriate title!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was wondering how this would pan out. To deny Visa customers would be a massive impact on Amazon, and would take an awful lot of business from Visa. It makes sense for them to sort it out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or maybe Amazon, realising that they were about to lose out on hundreds of thousands of pounds, for .8% transaction costs?
To be honest Visa probably need Amazon more than Amazon need Visa. Most customers will have other cards they could potentially get or use in order to keep using Amazon I'd have thought.

greenone

Visit site
To be honest Visa probably need Amazon more than Amazon need Visa. Most customers will have other cards they could potentially get or use in order to keep using Amazon I'd have thought.
Amazon will small percentage of transactions for visa.

greenone

Visit site
really? a company that has 30+% market share of online shopping mkt in UK and bigger in US and elsewhere?
30% of online purchases is still a small percentage compared to other transactions.
Edit: And it was only the UK not other sites.

Last edited:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
It was always going to happen, only question is who caved in first?
I think the Amazon Mastercard take up from Amazon customers was low and maybe also a lower than expected re-registering of alternative payment methods made them think again. Their share price, bottom line etc is all at risk if they screwed that up all over a measly percent of a percent fee.