Almost Vintage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

Having decided a few weeks ago that, after 40+ years, I have had enough of so called "serious" golf (competitions and handicaps etc;) I thought it time to look at my bag.

Why do I need the latest GI technology if my score no longer really matters?

So today whilst browsing at a local golf shop I came across a set of Mizuno MP60's, a few years old but in good nick, 3-PW with DG R300 shafts (my favourites back in the day).

Always fancied them but dismissed as being "too good and hard to hit" for me.

Well now it doesn't matter so, what the Hell, in the bag they go and I can pretend I am 26 again hitting blade (almost) type clubs with a lovely narrow top line.

I realise it's not quite Crow type vintage but, who knows, that may be the next step.

D

Deleted member 18588

Go for it if the price is decent. As you say, if scoring and handicap is no longer what interests you, play with clubs that you want to hit. Yes there will be bad shots but if you don't care too much then crack on

£140 and that includes a brand new Mizuno Weekender stand bag.

On top of that the clubs have just been re-gripped with Tour Velvet 360's.

Too good a deal to miss.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nice find!

The way I look at handicap now is that all my games, including qualifiers, are played using vintage clubs so my handicap will settle to the scores I make with old clubs.
It might be a shot or two higher than if I were using full technological support but I don't care about that. What I enjoy is playing with old clubs that, for me, come from the golden age of golf and golfers.

I just wish somebody made a ball that replicated the spin offered by the old balata balls because pretty much all today's balls make it hard to get a good flight with a driver or long iron because they don't generate enough backspin. (That's backspin on full shots rather than wedge shots around the green, the rising flight of a well struck drive was a thing of beauty.)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I had the same hankering after Maxfli Revolution irons and when I saw a set on eBay at £30 I had to buy them.
I have to say they are still great irons. Not a forgiving as GI on the long irons but beautiful feeling in the short irons.
I still play competitive golf so keep these for holidays and winter use but delighted I bought them.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Still have mp 60s, couldn't bring myself to sell them.
Earlier in year when I was striking well the pro said I should pop them back in the bag. I really must find time to give them a whirl again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i remember trying the Mp60 when they came out, not very forgiving as i remember, went for the 57 instead at the time.

one of the guys i play with still used them, but he is off 2, nice looking clubs anyway.

Enjoy

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I still have a set of Slazenger XTC clubs in the garage, with graphite shafts and the original grips still on. They’re not blades, but an early cavity back. Saying that, I don’t think there’s much “technology” in them, more a perimeter weighting. I bought them about 26 years ago when graphite was in its infancy and Seve was still playing Slazenger. Gonna take the 7 iron to the range with me today out of curiosity.