Allergies and bad customer services

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So bit of back ground and a bit of a rant coming. I’m allergic to mushrooms. They can completely knock me out of it and even after an adrenaline shot I’ll be in bed for a couple of days. Not gonna kill me, just severe reaction to them.

Today is also my 10th wedding anniversary (10 years and she’s not killed me yet....).

So, ordered nice take out meal from Little Hong Kong near Chorley tonight, Banquet for 2, £29 a head, but it’s got a good rep and it’s a big day. Starters lovely, 1/4 duck awesome, get to mains.... both got mushrooms in even though the wife stressed no mushrooms in anything!

Called back to tell them and they start arguing the toss that there is definitely no mushrooms in them. I’m bloody well staring straight at them!! (I used to be a chef and also used to work in a Chinese). Say they’ll do another batch of mains and get them out to us. Then they call back, the wife picks it up, and they start arguing with her that the chefs say there’s no mushrooms!!! She’d even take a picture and sent it to them on messenger, don’t think they’d seen that. I get on the phone, full refund please and don’t bother with the mains, cheers for ruining our wedding anniversary.

I just couldn’t believe the bad customer services and arguing when I was staring straight at the shrooms.

One less customer for them.

Anyway. Rant over.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A takeaway "ruined your wedding anniversary"...

Considering if I’d eaten it I could have had to have an ambulance to the hospital.

It was more the entire customer services of it. We’d been waiting for the meal all week as we’d normally go out but all we got was grief and pretty much called liars.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No end of issues and incidents. People who aren't affected just don't take it seriously enough. Drives us crackers that so many places will cater for any stupid faddy diet you care to name but refuse to guarantee anything is nut free despite the potentially fatal nature of that allergy.

I’ve got used to it but it still winds the wife up. Doesn’t help that over the last month we’ve been to two restaurants doing take out to get a better meal and both of them have messed up a simple request.

Local Chinese chippy.... never had an issue!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No end of issues and incidents. People who aren't affected just don't take it seriously enough. Drives us crackers that so many places will cater for any stupid faddy diet you care to name but refuse to guarantee anything is nut free despite the potentially fatal nature of that allergy.

To be fair I think many won't guarantee nut-free etc because it simply isn't worth the risk to say otherwise. Ensuring all sourced products having been in contact with nuts can't be easy.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So the wife ate one of the mains for her dinner today... no shrooms in it all

TBH it was more that they were adamant that we were wrong, like being called a liar down the phone

Attachments

• 70C752CA-4705-40B4-A621-EAE6C53A2F5C.jpeg
    70C752CA-4705-40B4-A621-EAE6C53A2F5C.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 18

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So the wife ate one of the mains for her dinner today... no shrooms in it all

TBH it was more that they were adamant that we were wrong, like being called a liar down the phone

My brother in law has a huge reaction to mushrooms, he even has it if something is cooked in a pan that mushrooms were previously cooked in and the are none in his meal! So I appreciate your issue ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a simple question -

If you have an allergy to mushrooms then do you react if something is cooked in the same pan that mushrooms have been cooked in? I cannot see them having separate pans for very similar meals.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a simple question -

If you have an allergy to mushrooms then do you react if something is cooked in the same pan that mushrooms have been cooked in? I cannot see them having separate pans for very similar meals.
Yes. Many moons ago I was working in Newcastle and the hotel cooked my steak ? in the same pan as the mushrooms. After they realised their mistake they just served the steak. I ate it and 5 minutes later passed out. Came to with a paramedic over me.

Any kitchen worth it’s salt will have more than one pan and can cook things up to order.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Considering if I’d eaten it I could have had to have an ambulance to the hospital.

It was more the entire customer services of it. We’d been waiting for the meal all week as we’d normally go out but all we got was grief and pretty much called liars.

Haven't been there since it was taken over - probably won't now - we usually get our takeaway from Happy Valley in Bamber Bridge or sometimes China Box in Clayton Brook.

P.S. Just looked at their prices - they were always a bit more expensive for takeaway, but they have gone sky-high now!

Last edited: