Alignment.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This will probably sound weird but does anyone else suffer with a similar problem in regards to alignment?

Basically when I practice at the range I have absolutely no problem getting my alignment right and the ball position in the right spot. I assume it's because of all the straight lines and square edges and reference points on the mat etc. Now get me on the course (particularly off the tee) and I'll set up for my shot in the usual way but when I look down at the ball it just doesn't feel right. The ball position suddenly feels like its in the middle of my stance when it should be on my left heel and now ive no idea what direction i should be swinging the club. I've asked my playing partners to tell me where I'm aiming and usually it's a lot further right then I thought and sometimes I'll just pull the ball straight left which I assume is due to me swinging over the top with a closed club face because I'm aligned to the right but think I'm aiming down the middle? It's really starting to get in my head on the tee box now as I just have no confidence I'm even aiming where I should be.

Any advice to help stop this?

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have trouble with this from time to time and, like you, I tend to aim further right than I want.

The only solution I know is that, if I stand over the ball and don't feel comfortable, for whatever reason, I stand back and try again. In my experience, trying to shuffle round at address isn't a good solution - I rarely hit a good shot when I do that.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pick something on your line about 2ft infront of your ball. Then line up to that. Thats aim sorted. Now stand to the side of the ball, with your feet together with the club head behind the ball, with the shaft 90* to the target line. Set your front foot to the back of the ball. Then move your back foot to the stance width you want. Everything should be square then. Oh and good luck.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Pick something on your line about 2ft infront of your ball. Then line up to that. Thats aim sorted. Now stand to the side of the ball, with your feet together with the club head behind the ball, with the shaft 90* to the target line. Set your front foot to the back of the ball. Then move your back foot to the stance width you want. Everything should be square then. Oh and good luck.

trouble is then the ball would be way to far forward in your stance for anything but driver;)

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of us suffer from this from time to time. There's nothing worse than feeling the ball coming flush out of the middle of the club, flying straight as an arrow and then landing in a hedge row.

Usually followed up by your playing partners saying, "yeah I though it was a bit strange that you were aiming over there"

I try to start my address of the ball by getting the club on line and then my back foot, while keep the chest open until I put my front foot in.... that keeps me looking down the target line for as long as possible.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Constantly struggle with this. Picking something in your line is the best idea but its still not fool-proof, I find something a foot or two away works well but anything further doesnt, I think this has to do with your vision though so everyones different. I too will step off the ball if I have a feeling Im not aligned properly but if I try a second time and it doesn't feel right I'll usually pivot on the balls of my feet so that I rotate a touch left. If I've been aiming right this sets me up for a draw, if I was ok originally Im now aiming left, either way the ball will probably finish left of target and if there's no danger there thats ok. If dangers on the right I'll try again.

On the tee theres usually an old broken tee, divot or discoloured grass that makes a good line. Ill set up behind this and tee the ball in its line (not tee the ball then look for something to aim it with). That way I have my marker set up already on line with the ball. Hope that helps.
I used to be embarrassed about stepping off a shot, thought I was holding up play (crazy, cos Im a quick player, but my fear was others wouldnt know that and say "who does he think he is a pro?!" mounting pressure on myself that was only coming from myself), you get over that, you hold up play a lot more looking for your ball in the hedge than stepping back, lining up properly and putting it on the fairway.