Alignment checkpoints??

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning all

Do any of you have any alignment checkpoints of drills you use when out on the course to ensure your lined up correctly to the target?

It was pointed out to me last week that my feet were pointing well right of the target causing me to push the ball out to the right of where I thought I was aiming.

At the range on Sunday I lined up to my target, dropped a club down along my toe line stepped back and yup, feet pointing well to the right again.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
At the range on Sunday I lined up to my target, dropped a club down along my toe line stepped back and yup, feet pointing well to the right again.

Not necessarily a bad thing.
Lots of people aim right with their feet but their shoulders are square.
However, if you are hitting everything right, then you need to correct it

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I try to pick a point six inches in front of the ball. I then square the clubface to send the ball over that Mark. My fee are together at this point and I try to get them pointing in the same direction as the club before spacing them out. Helps but not fool proof.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The ball does go right bob, also have a tendency to leave the clubface open slightly which results in a push fade/slice.

Any ideas on the best way to correct it or things to look out for? As I say at address I think I'm lined up square.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I try to pick a point six inches in front of the ball. I then square the clubface to send the ball over that Mark. My fee are together at this point and I try to get them pointing in the same direction as the club before spacing them out. Helps but not fool proof.

You see tiger this is what I try to do and when I'm set up I think I'm lined correctly.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Richy, I tend to get 10 feet or so behind the ball, and pick a spot in the distance, as small as poss, then, I pick something in front of the ball, no more than a yard away.
I line myself up square with the near mark, shoulders, clubface then try and get my feet parrallel. works for me most of the time.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com

You see tiger this is what I try to do and when I'm set up I think I'm lined correctly.

You can hold your club at chest height parallel to the ground along the line of your feet then look along the club to see where it's pointing. But you look like such a knob doing this I rarely bother. I think 90% of my problems occur at set up before I've even swing the club. When I played cricket sometimes you were set up slightly out but could always shuffle your feet or play defensively to tackle the problem. If you figure out a 100% consistent fool proof method please let me know. T :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the range (or course on your own) why not check your alignment with a club across your toes, and if it's out correct the line of the club, then get used to how it feels (and looks) standing square to the alignment club?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I will region. If I do it all the time hopefully it will Become second nature.

It helps, believe me.

I started using my alignment stick (broken V-Easy :D) at the range and find my alignment on the course is alot better (but still not perfect) because of it.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk

Interesting you say that Bob.

When i was younger and playing to a high standard, the teaching pro was obsessed with getting my feet square as i did exactly that. It completely destroyed my game for a while. This was at a time when level par was a bad score for me (that won't happen again :D) I knew my feet were going right but the ball always went straight down target.

maybe teaching has moved on since then