Algarve

Mockba

Visit site
Hi all, heading to the Algarve this year for our first golf trip there.

The cost of golf for the premium courses seem very expensive. Can anyone recommend any more 'budget' courses that are hidden gems (around £70 max including buggy hire)?

Out of three rounds we'll probably go with a couple of average / cheaper courses and one quality course.

Also, are we best booking direct with the courses or are there websites we can buy tee times cheaper from please?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 1147

Depends which part of the Algarve you are going to. But Benamor is cheaper than most, it's near Tavira East of Faro.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To get on a better course at cheaper rates look for evening times. These usually start around 1-2pm.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
If you don't stay in town and go to the resort, Amendoeira is a decent deal. The courses are good (at least they were last time we went), the setup is good, the villas are superb, unlimited golf and buggies are included. The downside is if you want nightlife..... there ain't a lot. The closest town is Alcantarilha about 10 mins by taxi, it's more like a little village, has a couple of decent restaurants in the centre by the church. Albufeira is about 25-30 mins by taxi.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Depends which part of the Algarve you are going to. But Benamor is cheaper than most, it's near Tavira East of Faro.

Two more not far from there are Quinta da Ria and it’s neighbour Quinta da Cima. Part of the same club, they are considerably cheaper than resort courses on the Algarve and both great fun to play.

D

Deleted member 1147

Two more not far from there are Quinta da Ria and it’s neighbour Quinta da Cima. Part of the same club, they are considerably cheaper than resort courses on the Algarve and both great fun to play.
Agreed - we played the 3 on a trip a few years ago, which was much cheaper than the others we'd visited it the past.

However, all courses seem quite expensive if you book whilst you're out there (directly), as I suppose you are seen as a captive audience.

Billysboots

Visit site
Agreed - we played the 3 on a trip a few years ago, which was much cheaper than the others we'd visited it the past.

However, all courses seem quite expensive if you book whilst you're out there (directly), as I suppose you are seen as a captive audience.

Been a while since I was there, but even Ria and Cima were pushing 80 Euros as I recall.

Tashyboy

Visit site
A course I played once was called Palmares. It was truly stunning. It was 27 holes.I played 1-18. 39 mins from Palmares and we’ll worth the effort.
Another 2 to consider, the Faldo and O‘Conner course. Both nice,both in the same complex see if they do deals ?

Billysboots

Visit site
A course I played once was called Palmares. It was truly stunning. It was 27 holes.I played 1-18. 39 mins from Palmares and we’ll worth the effort.
Another 2 to consider, the Faldo and O‘Conner course. Both nice,both in the same complex see if they do deals ?

The Faldo was way too tricked up for my liking. Lots of local knowledge required otherwise good shots end up being punished.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The Faldo was way too tricked up for my liking. Lots of local knowledge required otherwise good shots end up being punished.

Oddly enough when I played it I was paired with two lads from Mansfield. Totally agree he some good shots being punished. Just wondered if playing booths courses may get a reduction in fees.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site

I once disgraced myself at Palmares when I was 17, I overdid things at night and came straight to the course and was fairly ill in the fireplace. Friend's dad bet me I couldn't break 80, started with a 10 (and another chunder in the right rough) and squeezed home by a shot