Algarve or Spain ‘deals’ in Jan or Feb 2024. 3 nights/4 rounds

Larry long dog

Visit site
Sorry I know probably been done to death in previous years. Costa Del Sol 17 degrees if very lucky and Algarve similar. Anyone got any top tips/recommendations? I know canaries is pretty much guaranteed drier and warmer weather but don’t want to fly 4 hours (and Algarve and Spain courses probably better).

I did previously save some Algarve (VDL) deal someone posted but seem to have since lost it 🙄

Thanks

Bobthesock

Visit site
From my experience you are slightly more likely to get rain in Portugal than Costa del sol.
Either should be pleasant in the sun though.
Ignore the costa blanca being warmer advice. It isn't.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just back from Costa Calida, stayed in Roda and it was scorchio (ok, it was abnormal for the time of year) but Jan/Feb should still be warmer and drier than here.

Some good courses as well (have to say I enjoyed the course at Roda immensely).

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I've just booked a week at Islantilla (nr Heluva)
7 nights unlimited golf, half board
At a good price.
Another good one is El Rompido
36 holes (half board option)
Fly into Faro (Portugal) & get a hire car or more than 8x golfers get free transfers.

Most breaks in SpaIn & Portugal are bed & breakfast.
I like half board, it's mainly the Andalusia region that offers this option.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I'm not interested in playing multiple courses, so I'll stay on site & play that course.
Islantlilla has 27 holes
El Rompido has 36 holes
Both have 4 or 5 star hotels on site.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not interested in playing multiple courses, so I'll stay on site & play that course.
Islantlilla has 27 holes
El Rompido has 36 holes
Both have 4 or 5 star hotels on site.
I would probably prefer a bit more choice but can see the attraction of not having to get transfers all the time.

Smokey Lomcevak

Visit site
Another vote for Islantilla for value. I think the drive to Rompido was about 45 minutes and worth the trip for variety. Obviously plenty of other options too back across the border in Portugal - just remember the different time zones.

Edit to add - We had good meals at Macha La Antilla over by Paseo de Madrid and Cerviceria Tapas Andalucia 3 and Bahia Islantilla at the Plaza further West. Go and see Pedro at El Mojito where he makes pretty punchy cocktails. I got the impression that not much happens here before the last weekend of March, however.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Pestana in the Western Algarve is worth a look. Mates of mine stayed in a villa there a few years ago and the price included unlimited golf at six courses. Decent courses they are around there, too.

jamiesd

Visit site
New poster.
I stay up in Aberdeen. very very bad for enjoyable winter golf. Im wondering if anyone has any idea if its possible to go somewhere for a 4-5 days abroad to just hit balls and practice short game etc. Don't want to play any rounds just work on my game. Would be looking to do this end of Feb so i can get ready for mid March season start. What's the best way to go about this?

All the best
Jamiesd

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
New poster.
I stay up in Aberdeen. very very bad for enjoyable winter golf. Im wondering if anyone has any idea if its possible to go somewhere for a 4-5 days abroad to just hit balls and practice short game etc. Don't want to play any rounds just work on my game. Would be looking to do this end of Feb so i can get ready for mid March season start. What's the best way to go about this?

All the best
Jamiesd

Most courses will have a range and short game area you can use - just like they have here in the UK.

Depends on what facilities you want in addition the the golf practice, so location, bars and restaurants etc.

jamiesd

Visit site
Most courses will have a range and short game area you can use - just like they have here in the UK.

Depends on what facilities you want in addition the the golf practice, so location, bars and restaurants etc.
Hi Mel.

Just a decent grass range, unlimited balls. As long as its a flight from Scotland. Not to fussed about the social side tbh. Total golf......lol

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Mel.

Just a decent grass range, unlimited balls. As long as its a flight from Scotland. Not to fussed about the social side tbh. Total golf......lol

We had a hotel / course complex near us. Great range - you’d need to pay per basket for those though, short game area was excellent, just use your own balls on there, good putting greens etc. It’s half an hour from Alicante airport so you’d have no issue with flights.
Hotel is about 1km from the local urbanisation of La Finca where you’d have more choice of bars and places to eat, and there’s a little hotel up there (Hotel Algorfa) - you could stay there if you wanted to keep the cost down, then get a taxi down to the course each day.