Air Compressor

Mandofred

Visit site
Thinking about getting a decent compressor.....for topping up the car tyres, and for grip removal/putting on. Anybody use one......that isn't too expensive? Those are likely the only 2 things I would use it on.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought one years ago from B&Q for about £100.

This seems to be a modern equivalent of what I've got...SIP 05291 Super Boxy 1.5HP 2 Litre Receiver 230V Packaged Air Compressor by SIP : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Be aware that you cannot easily blow off a grip that has been put on a golf club by conventional means....i.e. solvent activated tape. They are great however for installing a grip without double sided tape....and grips installed without double sided tape blow off really easily with an air compressor.....really convenient if you like experimenting with different grips before committing to do the entire set.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit of overkill if you ask me. I have a compressor in my workshop for various air tools etc, but I probably only use it once or twice a year on my car's tyres. I also tried it to remove grips but it doesn't really work if the grips have been on the clubs for any length of time. The grip would blow up like a balloon and not release. As said, if you are replacing grips why not use a Stanley knife? You're not going to re-use them are you?

(Incidentally, a decent compressor with a decent motor needs to be wired through a spur outlet and can be quite noisy if in a domestic garage.)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have one with a 50l tank, it’s an oil filled compressor. now I wish I’d bought one With an oil free compressor to be able to use it blowing the car dry after washing. It’s can easily blow grips off, the trick is to use a piece of 32mm plastic pipe over the grip to stop it blowing up unevenly and bursting.
I run mine with the cut off valve set to 100 psi, so it’s very versatile and useful. It also runs on a 13a plug and socket with no need to be connected in any other way.
Mine came from Machine Mart.

Mandofred

Visit site
Still thinking about it. I've been replacing my own grips for several years now. I don't need one though.....and I tend to think my wife will frown a bit....we already have enough crap in the garage (treadmill, washing machine, freezer, golf clubs etc etc)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going to be using one for grips you also need a section of pipe just big enough to go over butt end of the grip. I probably have about a 40% success rate. It very much depends on the quality of the tape used and how long it has been on.

I originally bought mine for my caravan and when I had a transit mini bus which needed 54psi (a bit too much hard work with a foot pump).

The other really good use I have made of it is to blow out the central heating system and to pressure test the system after fitting several new radiators and pipe runs.

I have got some air tools with it but have not really got round to using them eg connector for water hose to turn it in to a pressure washer and air hammer tools for braking up concrete. It came with paint sprayer but yet to find out what is the pressure to use with it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going to be using one for grips you also need a section of pipe just big enough to go over butt end of the grip. I probably have about a 40% success rate. It very much depends on the quality of the tape used and how long it has been on.

I originally bought mine for my caravan and when I had a transit mini bus which needed 54psi (a bit too much hard work with a foot pump).

The other really good use I have made of it is to blow out the central heating system and to pressure test the system after fitting several new radiators and pipe runs.

I have got some air tools with it but have not really got round to using them eg connector for water hose to turn it in to a pressure washer and air hammer tools for braking up concrete. It came with paint sprayer but yet to find out what is the pressure to use with it.
Can I refer the Gentleman to #6 ;)
If you do want to do spray painting, you will need either an in line filter to clean the air or have an oil free compressor:)

dprees

Visit site
I bought one of these from Amazon, specifically for fitting (and removing) grips:

Reesibi Digital Tyre Inflator 230V 12V for Car 150PSI, Mains Tyre Inflator 240V DC AC dual power, Air Compressor with Car and Uk Plug, Toolkit

£54.99.

Does the job faily well. Can be powered by a cigarette plug in a car, or from a UK power socket (both cables are supplied). There are adapters provided to change the air fitting -- there is one which fits into the hole at the butt end of grips, which works pretty well when installing or removing grips (as long as no adhesive tape is involved).

I find 5.5 bar is the best pressure level to use, though I will sometimes increase or decrease this if I'm encountering difficulty in fitting the grip.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can I refer the Gentleman to #6 ;)
If you do want to do spray painting, you will need either an in line filter to clean the air or have an oil free compressor:)

Thanks
It made dig out the manual and actually read it because the advised pressure is quoted. It does not say if it is oil or not but is does have a built in filter. It also reminded it came with a nail gun which I have used a lot.