Advice please

mackenzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi folks

A mate and I (and maybe a couple more) are looking to go for a short golf break at the end of August/start of September. I'd say we don't want to break the bank, but fancy going somewhere interesting with good golf, obviously. I was thinking maybe Scotland/Ireland.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations? And are there any companies you have found good to go with?

Cheers!

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
mackenzie how much do you want to spend?a crowd of us used to twice a year all over scotland from cullen in the north east to rothesay to eyemouth in the south east!are you looking for some sort of social life after the golf?if you have the money then you can,t beat st.andrews for the night life.then again the legion in kingussie is smashing,the fish suppers in eyemouth are brill!get the ferry to rothesay and play one of the most scenic courses in the u.k. (plus the pubs are great)or you could go to campbeltown and play machrahanish and play your 1st shot across the atlantic ocean!! so many choices ,why not just move up here (are you an illegal???)anyway enjoy your stay!!!!!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't comment on Scotland/Ireland....but if you want to "do" Wales (North)......why not consider Aberdovey, Harlech (R.s.D), Nefyn as a class trio of top courses.

Similar experience to the West coast above Liverpool but better value and not so intimidating as say Hoylake, Lytham and Birkdale/Hillside

B

birdieman

......why not consider Aberdovey, Harlech (R.s.D), Nefyn as a class trio of top courses.

Nefyn - I thought you can only get onto Nefyn accompanied by a member?
Will be down there in October so keen to know!

Re Mackenzie's original question, why not follow your family roots to Mackenzie country which will take you up to Tain and Dornoch. Also do Nairn and Boat of Garten. All easily accessed from Inverness airport. Either that or go to Fife - loads of great courses but not cheap!

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
If you come to Fife there are plenty of places to stay, many of which are reasonably cheap, most of the courses will be reasonably priced, £15-£40 bracket, however if you want to play the likes of St Andrews and Kingsbarns then be prpared to dig deep. A few reasonably priced courses I can recommend (from personal experience), Lundin Links*, Drumoig, Burntisland, Charleton, Kirkcaldy, Thornton, Balbirnie, Aberdour, Leven Thistle*, Elie* and most definately Ladybank (* denotes links course)

For more info visit the Fife golf website clicky

mackenzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great stuff, Fife looks good! Any other advice out there? One option we were thinking of was France - maybe Atlantic coast. Anyone been?

mackenzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Now thinking possibly in terms of some links action up in Fife. Looks great up there. Still wondering of anyone has any info about golfing in France?

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Three course ticket at Carnoustie costs £145. Cosists of a round on each of the courses, The Buddon Links, The Burnside and The Championship. All in outstanding condition at the moment.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re: Advice please/Nefyn

You will have no problem getting on at Nefyn. There is no need for a member to play with. Only thing to watch out for there is that their weekend rate applies on Fridays as well as a weekend. btw, their winter rates don't start till November.

On the other hand, at (Harlech) Royal St Davids to give it its proper title, don't have this minor problem , as their winter ratesstart 10th October & weekend rates are at the weekend. Both still very good courses for the money especially considering if you wanted to go to Royal Porthcawl it would cost you two or three times the rates & will get a similar challenges

Haven't been golfing in Scotland yet (nor Ireland as not got a passport currently) though as I believe it its well worth getting the special weekly tickets for golf in scotland

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Re: Advice please/Nefyn

Hi Mackenzie
REckon you'll be staying in this country and wouldn't argue with that for a minute. If you do go for France, I think Golf Breaks deals are as good as any. we have been with them in France (pas de Calais) and in this country and don't reckon you save a lot by going 'independent' (unless you enjoy sorting out the details yourself.) If you don't fancy what they're advertising, explain what you want and they'll quote you for various packages. There are also discounts for big groups.
(PS I don't work for them!)

Have a good trip!

AliB