Adam Scott or Tiger... I think Justin.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Struggle to warm to Adam Scott due to his long putter just not right for me. And Tiger - well - not for me. I'd go Mickleson for his fantastic adaptability and play in The Open.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
lol, me, argumentative, never surely

Thing is for me is it PGA golfer of the year, and I think he wins that (hes won more than twice as many tournaments than anyone else with a 30% win rate!), does he win overall golfer of the year, maybe not (as at that point I may value majors and possibly WGC events higher). Its funny that people want to include Mickelson even though his big wins arent even on the PGA tour. As I say I think this year hes definitely been the best golfer on the PGA tour and probably been the best golfer full stop :)

It's hard to look past Tiger, I agree.

He's been the most consistent he's been for a while this season and 5 wins is evidence of that. Personally I feel Jordan Speith has had an equally good season.

Granted he has t won the number of tournaments Tiger has, but for a rookie season, he's more than held his own.

Horses for courses. I suppose. If we all thought the same it would be a boring world eh? :mad:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Adam Scott for me, Big Phil 2nd, Justin 3rd and Tiger 4th.... All about the majors....

You can't give PotY to someone on the basis of 1 good week. Performance of the year maybe, but PotY has to be about the whole year.

I wonder how many would be voting for Tiger if his and Scott's records were reversed?

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to say Tiger although I bet Woods would swap his record this season for Scott's with him having a major in there. Have to say though I think Scott has one of the best swings I have ever seen.

JackBrocklehurst

Assistant Pro
www.youtube.com
Saw somewhere on Facebook asking to choose between Tiger (5 wins) & Adam Scott (Masters + Barclays) for the PGA Tour Player of the Year.

While I have always liked Tiger and increasingly Adam's golf & good nature, I think my choice is Justin Rose.

I was watching the Barclay's at a bar in Polzeath last week. With Justin needing a 3-5 footer to force a playoff, I thought he would miss cuz his alignment looked incorrect (everyone can be an armchair Peter Alliss). Unfortunately, Justin missed it and Adam went onto to win. In a weird way, it made Justin more human and likeable.

While I like Adam, I think he still has an unnatural advantage with his long putter. So my vote goes to Justin.

Discuss..

Would have to be Tiger for me, although Justin and Adam have both had cracking years. Tiger's just been up there almost every tournament he's been in. And when he's won he's destroyed it. The 61 at Firestone the other week was too good to watch, especially as he could have had a 58!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the PGA golfer of year is determined by the player with the most wins or most money - does this not simply mean the player at the top of the PGA order of merit. And if it does what's the point of the PGA golfer of the year. Surely this has to just more than most wins/most money. These are very limited parameters upon how to assess what any one golfer has achieved or contributed in the field of golf in a year.

JackBrocklehurst

Assistant Pro
www.youtube.com
If the PGA golfer of year is determined by the player with the most wins or most money - does this not simply mean the player at the top of the PGA order of merit. And if it does what's the point of the PGA golfer of the year. Surely this has to just more than most wins/most money. These are very limited parameters upon how to assess what any one golfer has achieved or contributed in the field of golf in a year.

I think it must be assessed by wins, events played etc. As well as general performance. A lot of great golfers this year.
I wonder if Driving, FIR and GIR% have anything to do with it too? Hmm.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So let's look at 1950...just for instance...

1950 Sam Snead was leading money winner; Jimmy Demaret won the Masters; Ben Hogan won the US Open; Bobby Locke won The Open, and Chandler Harper won the PGA. Who would be PGA golfer of the year. Sam Snead because he won most money or Ben Hogan because of his remarkable victory 11 months after his 'near death' car accident? I hazard that you'll not find that many voting for Sam Snead.

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So let's look at 1950...just for instance...

1950 Sam Snead was leading money winner; Jimmy Demaret won the Masters; Ben Hogan won the US Openyn; Bobby Locke won The Open and Chandler HArper won the PGA. Who would be PGA golfer of the year. Sam Snerad because he won most money or Ben Hogan because of his remarkable victory 11 months after his 'near death' car accident. I hazard that you'll not find that many going for Sam Snead.

Coming back from that accident obviously had a major part to play for the winner but nobody this year has anything like that to get preference of simple facts. If the title was for favourite golfer of the year then woods may struggle to get short listed. But if it's for best of the year then I'd be surprised if he doesn't get it. As a side note on woods picking his favourite events. Everyone could do thensame if they wished too. Maybe they just don't have the same confidence in their ability to get it done and therefor play ever week hoping it clicks once or twice.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Coming back from that accident obviously had a major part to play for the winner but nobody this year has anything like that to get preference of simple facts. If the title was for favourite golfer of the year then woods may struggle to get short listed. But if it's for best of the year then I'd be surprised if he doesn't get it. As a side note on woods picking his favourite events. Everyone could do thensame if they wished too. Maybe they just don't have the same confidence in their ability to get it done and therefor play ever week hoping it clicks once or twice.

But isn't best golfer of the year almost always going to be top of the money list - almost by definition. This means that the award of Player of the Year would be a bit pointless. But agree that everything else being equal - top of money list would take it. But even without such as Hogan's win - you have Speight (sp) for his youth and Mickleson for winning The Open in the way he did.

I might give it to Zach Johnson for saying after the first (or was it second) round of the Open that he was loving playing The Open and Muirfield as he knows that he will come away from it knowing all the weaker points of his game. Great attitude.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But isn't best golfer of the year almost always going to be top of the money list - almost by definition. This means that the award of Player of the Year would be a bit pointless. But agree that everything else being equal - top of money list would take it. But even without such as Hogan's win - you have Speight (sp) for his youth and Mickleson for winning The Open in the way he did.

I might give it to Zach Johnson for saying after the first (or was it second) round of the Open that he was loving playing The Open and Muirfield as he knows that he will come away from it knowing all the weaker points of his game. Great attitude.

I think it should be based on stats yes, but not necessarily money. If somebody had earned more money this year than woods through playing 3 times as many events, who's had the better year? I remember years ago when Vijay got to number 1 in the world. Purely by playing week in week out and accumulating more points. Was he the best I the works then? I think the mean average should be used. That is to say, average finishing position. Highest wins as they been most consistent.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He also bought us "Dufnering", the more you think about it, he should be a shoe-in :thup:

Indeed - his demeanour and the fact that he is bit of a scruffy lad who get's on with it - and despite that and all his money and success - he has married his girl from school. Now that tells me that he has a streak of honest, decency right through his backbone. So Dufner for me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a feeling that Tiger would trade his five wins for a major. He is becoming a bit of a flat track bully. I think you need to win a major to be player of the year. Means you have beaten every top player in the world over four days. Not necessarily the case in a lot of US tour events.

For winning the biggest major I would vote for Leftie.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No question, at the moment it has to be Tiger.

5 wins beats 2 - simples.

Even if those 2 are big events, to win 5 times on the PGA in one Season puts you top of the tree.

BUT....

If Scotty can win one of the other playoff events or maybe the whole thing then it becomes a lot closer and then I think the Major may tip the balance.

After all, Tiger's won 2 WGC's, the PLayers and the Arnie Invite - not exactly run of the mill events......