Adam Scott or Tiger... I think Justin.

V

vkurup

Saw somewhere on Facebook asking to choose between Tiger (5 wins) & Adam Scott (Masters + Barclays) for the PGA Tour Player of the Year.

While I have always liked Tiger and increasingly Adam's golf & good nature, I think my choice is Justin Rose.

I was watching the Barclay's at a bar in Polzeath last week. With Justin needing a 3-5 footer to force a playoff, I thought he would miss cuz his alignment looked incorrect (everyone can be an armchair Peter Alliss). Unfortunately, Justin missed it and Adam went onto to win. In a weird way, it made Justin more human and likeable.

While I like Adam, I think he still has an unnatural advantage with his long putter. So my vote goes to Justin.

Discuss..

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I like Adam Scott but Tiger's 5 wins is pretty special. Does Adam's 2 wins including a major beat Tiger's 5 wins? Not sure!

If one of those two win the FedEx then it's an easy decision.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Seems a bit strange to turn a question like the PGA Tour Player of the Year into a Woods/Scott face-off.

Phil Mickelson should surely come into the reckoning.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If it's PGA Tour Player of the Year ...... Non of the above.

Jordan Spieth gets my vote.

The lad only turned pro last year. He's currently 8th in the Fedex Cup and 33rd in the ofical wold rankings. Not to mention a whole load of top 20's when it comes to his stats against the rest of the tour.

Very impressive player this year.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know. Russel Henley has had a good rookie year.

If I could give Speith both, I would, but those would be my picks for player and rookie of the year.

How has Spieth had a better year than Woods on the PGA Tour? Their results are not even comparable. You are clearly giving him more credit for being a rookie, thats what the rookie award is for. Seriously you think hes been the best golfer on the PGA Tour this year?

Edit:

Woods Played 13, Top 10s 8, Wins 5
Spieth Played 20, Top 10s 7, Wins 1

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
How has Spieth had a better year than Woods on the PGA Tour? Their results are not even comparable. You are clearly giving him more credit for being a rookie, thats what the rookie award is for. Seriously you think hes been the best golfer on the PGA Tour this year?

Edit:

Woods Played 13, Top 10s 8, Wins 5
Spieth Played 20, Top 10s 7, Wins 1

Just my opinion Steve.

I personally think what Speith has done this year is exceptional. Yes, I accept I probably am giving him more credit for doing Ot in his rookie year (and agree with your point BTW).

It's almost accepted that Tiger will win on tour through out the season, but it's generally not expected for a rookie to have the season Speith has had.

No doubt Tiger has had a good season so far and will probably win the award, but for me, I'd give it to Speith.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So you are awarding it based on who exceeds your expectations by the most, not on who plays the best over the year. the kids had one hell of a rookie year and will be with us for many years to come, but is a long way from being the best player out there this year

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you are awarding it based on who exceeds your expectations by the most, not on who plays the best over the year. the kids had one hell of a rookie year and will be with us for many years to come, but is a long way from being the best player out there this year

As I said Steve. Just my opinion.

If I had to choose one of the 'proper' contenders I would choose Adam Scott.

Wins 2 (including a major)
2nd PI Finishes --
3rd PI Finishes 2
Top 10 Finishes 6
Top 25 Finishes 9
Events Played 13
Cuts Made 13

With Speith getting the rookie honours.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I said Steve. Just my opinion.

If I had to choose one of the 'proper' contenders I would choose Adam Scott.

Wins 2 (including a major)
2nd PI Finishes --
3rd PI Finishes 2
Top 10 Finishes 6
Top 25 Finishes 9
Events Played 13
Cuts Made 13

With Speith getting the rookie honours.

So you have to have won a major to win player of the year on that basis? Woods 5 wins v Scotts 2 (from same number of events) - unless a major counts for 5? Never had you down in the H category Gareth ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you have to have won a major to win player of the year on that basis? Woods 5 wins v Scotts 2 (from same number of events) - unless a major counts for 5? Never had you down in the H category Gareth ;)

I have the feeling you are being deliberately argumentative Steve :smirk:

On a lot of threads on here, golfing greatness is often accompanied by the number of majors a player has one. Tiger vs Jack is the classic example on here.

You very rarely (on here) here Tiger vs Snead when it comes to total tour wins to measure golfing greatness. Perhaps it should? Then people would give Westwood or Monty a little more slack with them not winning a major but having plenty of wins :mad:

You have to remember Tiger manages his schedule very, very well, choosing only tournaments where the course suits his eye, or he has plenty of wins there (Firestone as an example) so you'd expect him to play well.

Majors on the other hand are a much more rare beast, with there only being 4 a season, so bagging one of them, again, in my opinion takes precedence over a tournament that a particular player had won 8 times (Woods @ Firestone).

I'd still give it to Speith though :rofl:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have the feeling you are being deliberately argumentative Steve :smirk:

On a lot of threads on here, golfing greatness is often accompanied by the number of majors a player has one. Tiger vs Jack is the classic example on here.

You very rarely (on here) here Tiger vs Snead when it comes to total tour wins to measure golfing greatness. Perhaps it should? Then people would give Westwood or Monty a little more slack with them not winning a major but having plenty of wins :mad:

You have to remember Tiger manages his schedule very, very well, choosing only tournaments where the course suits his eye, or he has plenty of wins there (Firestone as an example) so you'd expect him to play well.

Majors on the other hand are a much more rare beast, with there only being 4 a season, so bagging one of them, again, in my opinion takes precedence over a tournament that a particular player had won 8 times (Woods @ Firestone).

I'd still give it to Speith though :rofl:

lol, me, argumentative, never surely

Thing is for me is it PGA golfer of the year, and I think he wins that (hes won more than twice as many tournaments than anyone else with a 30% win rate!), does he win overall golfer of the year, maybe not (as at that point I may value majors and possibly WGC events higher). Its funny that people want to include Mickelson even though his big wins arent even on the PGA tour. As I say I think this year hes definitely been the best golfer on the PGA tour and probably been the best golfer full stop :)