Ace Cliff, Bridport , Lyme Regis

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Might be spending a few days on the Dorset Coast next month.

Have played all the Dorset "names " and Budleigh Salterton.... but nothing in between.

Wondering if those above are ok for a holiday round with my wife? Any other suggestions?
Lyme Regis and Bridport are nice courses.
Axe Cliff is a strange course - hilly, with lots of blind shots. Not one I wish to play again.
If you've been to Budleigh Salterton, then other courses in that area would be Exeter, Woodbury, Honiton (my home course) and Sidmouth.
(I personally don't like Sidmouth. Not a flat lie anywhere).
A little bit further along the coast is Dawlish Warren, which is a links course.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Helpful thoughts, many thanks. I'm sure I could reciprocate on the north coast for a gamecat Honiton.

Haven't booked the accommodation yet, but that's food for thought. Donna hates blind hates so the Cliff could be Axed!😁😁
Drop me a PM if you want a game at Honiton. There's usually plenty of tee times available in the afternoons.
(But not first week in September - that's our Festival Week with lots of opens, so will probably be booked out.
And second week in September is proposed as maintenance week, so not worth playing then).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I was choosing between Bridport and Lyme Regis it would be Lyme every time.

We often have trouble in our seniors getting sufficient players to play Bridport in the friendly match.

Lyme can suffer from the rolling sea mist that comes in to Lyme Bay - one minute brilliant sunny day few minutes later course closed short while later the course reopens.

So you can do the hokey cokey there.

GXHacker

Visit site
Lyme Regis is a fun course... yes very much subject to the weather, but if it's playable you'll have a good time.

Quite traditional and old school in the clubhouse but very friendly and good value for money.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played at Lyme Regis a week ago and it is in great condition. Some amazing views on a nice day. This would be my choice.

Bridport has some nice holes and like Lyme is on the cliff tops. However, the rough there is absolutely penal and is the main defence for the course.

Axe Cliff I would not bother with. Very quirky with far too many blind shots. It stays dry underfoot in the winter which for me is it’s only good point. It’s a James Braid course but I think he must have been ill that day so let his assistant do the design work 🤣