A round with Alliss

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I think he went more than a year or two over but your point is one I agree with. He was part of a golden age of commentary that is long gone now. A shame, I prefer the past styles to the current ones but we are where we are.
I think the BBC did not really handle Peter very well as it's interest in golf declined from 2005 onwards. Strangely, I think he did better in his later US broadcasts where your airtime is limited. Which brings me to my main point...

In his latter years, a strong anchorman like Mike Tirico in the US who already had a broadcast team with strong views allowed Peter to riff off them with the quicker nature of US broadcasts. The BBC were in error to give him too much airtime and although professional, his colleagues on the BBC were perhaps a little too relaxed for this approach to work.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think the BBC did not really handle Peter very well as it's interest in golf declined from 2005 onwards. Strangely, I think he did better in his later US broadcasts where your airtime is limited. Which brings me to my main point...

In his latter years, a strong anchorman like Mike Tirico in the US who already had a broadcast team with strong views allowed Peter to riff off them with the quicker nature of US broadcasts. The BBC were in error to give him too much airtime and although professional, his colleagues on the BBC were perhaps a little too relaxed for this approach to work.

I’ve just watched him doing his acceptance speech for the golf hall of fame in 2012. Totally switched on, quick witted and looked really healthy, exceptionally so for someone in their early 80’s. I saw him at Kingsbarns in 2017 at the ladies British Open riding in a buggy. I was shocked by how much he’d aged in those 8 intervening years, and his commentary was a pale shadow.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve just watched him doing his acceptance speech for the golf hall of fame in 2012. Totally switched on, quick witted and looked really healthy, exceptionally so for someone in their early 80’s. I saw him at Kingsbarns in 2017 at the ladies British Open riding in a buggy. I was shocked by how much he’d aged in those 8 intervening years, and his commentary was a pale shadow.
Sadly, we all grow old.