A quick lesson in shaft changing needed

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Need some help guys. I brought some Burner 2.0 irons in early december for a bargain. Ordered them with the superfast 85g regular steel shafts. I seem to struggle with a slight fade/push with them and quite a loss of distance compared to my old Cobras. The problem is they seem to go very high and just hang and drop out of the sky. I brought a ex demo Nike VR full cavity 6 iron with a r300 dynamic gold regular shaft and the difference is night and day. With this I am adding about 10 yards with a nice mid penetrating flight and a slight draw. Can a shaft really alter the shape of the flight?. The shaft is almost an inch shorter as well and just feels right. Do I change the shafts or is it cheaper to sell up and buy new 2.0's with the R300 shafts in?.

My pro has Wednesdays off so I can't ask him tomorrow. I can get the shafts off ebay for around £45.00 which have been pulled from a new set. How many factors do I need to get right for shaft replacement. I suppose the tip has to be the same but anything else?. Does anyone know around how much it would cost to replace the shafts?.

If you can answer any of the above questions feel free to have an input. Thanks.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can get an S300 shaft stuck in for about 12 quid but would probably do it myself. It might work out cheaper in the long run if you can offload yours and get a quick fitting from your pro as you know what you are wanting just checking shaft length etc.

T

thecraw

Do you know the tip size you need?

If so order the shafts you require from Gamola. All your need is a heat gun and some araldite.

Its very easy to do and gives a bit of satisfaction. I enjoy doing it myself as they are my clubs! You give them that wee bit extra TLC.

c.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you got the clubs for a bargain price off ebay my advice would be to auction the clubs with a minimum starting price and buy another set with the shafts you want. If you have 8 o 9 irons, chances are that by time you buy the shafts, ferrules and grips you will spend in excess of £100 more than you paid for the clubs.

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
i have just brought the burner 2.0 with the 85g shafts, i tried the stiff shafts at the fitting but they didnt work for me i wasnt getting as much spin and losing some distance compared to the regular.

My ball flight can be quite high with these but its still going alot further than my old set of nike sumos that also launched the ball really high.

Do you know what your swing speed is??

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you got the clubs for a bargain price off ebay my advice would be to auction the clubs with a minimum starting price and buy another set with the shafts you want. If you have 8 o 9 irons, chances are that by time you buy the shafts, ferrules and grips you will spend in excess of £100 more than you paid for the clubs.

Dave I got them on offer for £365 new the other month. Didn't get a chance to demo them and just brought them over the internet. I only use the 4-pw so theres 7 irons to do. The shafts I like are only £9 a pop and grips £7 so I would guestimate around £130 for the parts not including labour. Just need to see if my Pro will do a discount on labour as I havn't seen a set of R300 HL Dynamics in 2.0's yet.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i have just brought the burner 2.0 with the 85g shafts, i tried the stiff shafts at the fitting but they didnt work for me i wasnt getting as much spin and losing some distance compared to the regular.

My ball flight can be quite high with these but its still going alot further than my old set of nike sumos that also launched the ball really high.
Do you know what your swing speed is??

I have never been measured for swing speed but use to carry my Cobra S2 Max 7 iron 150-155 yards. Lost about 20 yards with the burners but some of that is down to it being the winter so would estimate a net loss of 15 yards. The problem is my Cobras went into space with distance where as the Burners go into space and down dead. I do generate a lot of spin though and have no problem spinning a 6 iron back from 145-150yards by about 2 yards or so. It just seemed that with the R300 HL earlier I was getting that penetrating mid flight with a nice draw-something that is non exsisting with the current shaft.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I suggest going and paying the 30 or 40 quid for a fitting which will tell you the correct shaft you need at the moment rather than kinda guessing and chopping and changing?

T

thecraw

Can I suggest going and paying the 30 or 40 quid for a fitting which will tell you the correct shaft you need at the moment rather than kinda guessing and chopping and changing?

No no no.

Just go to a Mizuno stockist and use their Mizuno DNA swing gauge.

Also need need for beads if you have the correct shaft tip size.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
No no no.

Just go to a Mizuno stockist and use their Mizuno DNA swing gauge.

Also need need for beads if you have the correct shaft tip size.

I was coming from the point of view if you had to spend the money on it it would be worthwhile (assuming you use a decent fitter)

As for the beads anybody that made or fixed clubs that I know used/recommended them.