A little project for the long nights

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
This will be a long post. For those lucky enough to play loads of golf, and with enough talent that practice isn't necessary, then there is nothing to see here ?

Where to start - having spent a fair bit of time with a hitting net and a Skypro during lockdown, I felt I'd made a bit of progress (with input from Bob and others), but could feel myself going back to old habits recently. Have also found myself spending a fair bit of cash at top tracer ranges (which my 2 nearest are now). The Skypro packed up a few weeks back, are now discontinued and the odd used one were going for silly money. So had a nose about for a new gadget (love a gadget).
Also, about 10 years ago I built a sort of gazebo thingy which of late had become bit of an overflow shed. So had a bit of a tidy up and cautiously worked out I could swing a driver under it. Plan forming. (Yeah, what took me so long to twig!)
Having called in some favours from the offspring, managed to cobble together a 'gaming PC', with a few small purchases on top of the main one, have ended up here....
output-onlinejpgtools1.jpg

Continuing on the theme, if anyone is familiar with Liveview Pro I thought I'd have a go at a DIY version.
The bottom monitor:
output-onlinejpgtools2.jpg

Last edited:

IainP

Visit site
The gadget is a tittle x play which clips on the club shaft. Obviously it isn't a proper launch monitor by any means so expectations need to be set accordingly. It links to E6 connect software which seems pretty good.
It's early days but I've used it after dark a few times.
Picture with flash off , it seems lighter in real life.
output-onlinejpgtools.jpg

Not really expecting to improve with all this but live in hope! Hoping to have a bit of fun with it.

Obviously one drawback is setting the kit up and putting away. It actually doesn't take long and it compares favourably with a trip out to the range.
There are also a couple of phone apps which are pretty good if just fancy a few swings.

Guess I'm set for lockdown 2! ?

Happy to answer any questions on here or via messages.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My professional advice would be..........
Get some 4x2 for the framing and loads of tongue and groove and close it all in.
It's going to get cold this winter.

IainP

Visit site
Ha Bob, yes that could be an option. I did wonder about something more temporary like tarpaulin. But I would have likely gone to the practice range a bit anyhow and this is no different, probably more sheltered. Wrap up ?. Experience so far I'd stripped down to a t-shirt after a few hits as was warm.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ha Bob, yes that could be an option. I did wonder about something more temporary like tarpaulin. But I would have likely gone to the practice range a bit anyhow and this is no different, probably more sheltered. Wrap up ?. Experience so far I'd stripped down to a t-shirt after a few hits as was warm.

If it's a more solid structure, you could lock it up and leave all the electronic wizardry in there full time.
You're much more likely to use it if it's already set up and ready to go.
Then later, you could maybe add a sofa, fridge, dart board, maybe invite a few mates round once Boris lets you.

D

Deleted member 21258

If you decide to hit proper balls, buy an impact net(like for archery) or put a sheet up. Proper golf balls go though normal nets very quickly.

Outside is cold and wet, even if you are hot in autumn to spring. Would recommend boxing in and a nice space heater, toastie!

Have you looked on the simulator forum?

Nice looking project, enjoy

IainP

Visit site
If you decide to hit proper balls, buy an impact net(like for archery) or put a sheet up. Proper golf balls go though normal nets very quickly.

Outside is cold and wet, even if you are hot in autumn to spring. Would recommend boxing in and a nice space heater, toastie!

Have you looked on the simulator forum?

Nice looking project, enjoy
Ta.
Real golf balls wouldn't really gain anything and be a risk with the posts.
Yeah I'm on the forum. The guys in North America have months of snow to deal with whereas we play almost all year here. I guess I started out seeing what I could do with minimum outlay. Will see how I feel in darkest January!

IainP

Visit site
Probably no-one's interested ? but have seen a few posts about nets etc. with England in lockdown 2.0, so thought I'd pop up a little update.
Made a couple of little purchases from the popular auction site. A little light for under £7 which is surprisingly bright and seems to solar charge itself when in the house.
Also bought a second little hitting mat for just over £7. Since lockdown I've played courses a bit more and that saves moving the one mat around.
Poking around in the garage I came across a piece of ply so used that to level things off along with some artificial grass off cuts from from before.
The E6 range, whilst doesn't have all the fancy features it does have the option of range targets which are raised green complexes. It also leaves the balls in place in their finishing positions which I like.
A latest picture

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

IainP

Visit site
With most people either playing golf or planning to next week I should be okay to post an update ?
A little bonus arrived this week
aviary-image-1606336843687-min.jpeg.jpg
Not the best picture, they are additional 'cradles' to put on the clubs which makes switching (the device) between clubs easier.

If golf was going to continue to be stopped I was toying with a purchase of an expansion pack (more courses etc.). Will hold off for now.

I also accidentally screenshot my phone screen while hitting recently, so I'll upload as well.
Screenshot_20201118-121009_Tittle Simulator.jpg
Any questions let me know.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It looks great. I wish I had the money and space to do something like this. I'd then rent it out to people from my club at a tenner an hour to help pay for it. :LOL:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I would revisit this thread.
IanP how are you getting on with the sensors? Are they close to reality?

I have set my net up in my garden. The wife was not particularly happy - but she hates golf with a passion. She knew I was obsessed before she married me.

So currently using the garmin G80 and it’s good fun on the virtual rounds. I am okay with the ball speeds but I think the head speed and smash factor could be off, given smash is a result of head speed and ball speed then if one is questionable then it will be off.

I was thinking of getting an awning or gazebo but it is difficult to get the height, plus the wife wrinkled her nose at that suggestion. She said I wouldn’t go out in the rain ...

IainP

Visit site
Thought I would revisit this thread.
IanP how are you getting on with the sensors? Are they close to reality?

I have set my net up in my garden. The wife was not particularly happy - but she hates golf with a passion. She knew I was obsessed before she married me.

So currently using the garmin G80 and it’s good fun on the virtual rounds. I am okay with the ball speeds but I think the head speed and smash factor could be off, given smash is a result of head speed and ball speed then if one is questionable then it will be off.

I was thinking of getting an awning or gazebo but it is difficult to get the height, plus the wife wrinkled her nose at that suggestion. She said I wouldn’t go out in the rain ...
Hi, thanks for asking ? Well I am still using it, has pretty much replaced me going to a busy range. Since golf returned I've not really played rounds on it, more practicing. I received a tablet for chrimbo and have been out in the rain with that rather than the PC.

For my current level, I'd say it's close enough to reality for what I'm using it for. Obviously it's miles from a GC quad (in cost and expectations). I'm trying to become comfortable with changes and just having something more than a ball hitting a net I enjoy. But I do watch the ball also, observe on the course, and when on a lesson with GC so can put that all in the mix.
For example, if my starting swing path was 5 o-t-i, it maybe isn't so critical if the device reading is 0.5 or 1 out, as moving that reading to say 1 o-t-i is still a tangible change. If you can follow. A scratch player would likely need more though.
I'm on an E6 group, and there seems to be some general chat that driver distance is a bit down and irons a bit up (with various sim devices). I've seen this also. Although in the recent soggy conditions I maybe had to concede the driver carry was closer ? But the same applies for me, if I can move the club/ball speed, carry relative to previous readings then that's fine.
I exchange the odd email with the designer/owner - he acknowledges the limitations and reckons he's working on the next gen device.
Just need that lottery win, build the studio and stick an high end sim in. But for now, it's foam balls in the garden and some fun!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have used real balls into my net, and I also use foot spray to pick up the strike. The smash factor has changed with strike position, the issue is it tops out at 1.45 and the swing speed just doesn’t make sense for ball speed. So I think the G80 measures one better than the other.
There is also some anecdotal evidence that GC and trackman measure club head speed differently, so it could well be a similar thing . I have no faith in phigolf , sadly With respect to speed. However face angles and path yes.
The O-t-I and I-t-O stuff needs perspective... if you less than 2 degrees either side of 0 then, your good to go. You face angle at impact and the consistency of that is the next big thing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not so worried about flight currently, I’ll check it at some point. But I use the accustrike mat as well which I think is fabulous

IainP

Visit site
I have used real balls into my net, and I also use foot spray to pick up the strike. The smash factor has changed with strike position, the issue is it tops out at 1.45 and the swing speed just doesn’t make sense for ball speed. So I think the G80 measures one better than the other.
There is also some anecdotal evidence that GC and trackman measure club head speed differently, so it could well be a similar thing . I have no faith in phigolf , sadly With respect to speed. However face angles and path yes.
The O-t-I and I-t-O stuff needs perspective... if you less than 2 degrees either side of 0 then, your good to go. You face angle at impact and the consistency of that is the next big thing.
Would you mind posting or messaging a link to the specific foot spray you used? Been meaning to buy some but when I've looked there seemed to be so many!