A Grand Day Out!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got to post about today.

Am on holiday in SE Spain, and happen to be staying just round the corner from where forum member Hobbit - Brian to them who know him. - lives. So i contacted him to see if he fancied showing a visitor around a local course. No problem says he.

The local course (Val del Este) apparently has a few problems at present and he suggested alternatives, so today we went to play at Lorca and i joined in with a local society with which he is involved. Not only did he arrange everything, but he came round to pick me up, and also loaned me a set of clubs.

The course was great - tough if you didn't hit it straight (which i didn't) and tough if you didn't get the length right (which i didn't). I played some good shots from time to time - but mostly not. (I'll keep my score under my hat thanks.) At times i suspect Brian wondered what he'd let himself in for. But i have to say, it was a great day out. There's now't much wrong playing golf in good company - which today was.

And it goes to show how great this forum is. I contacted a guy i have never met previously, and who I only know as an on-line presence on here - and he goes out of his way to make my day enjoyable. Long may it last. And long may l and others reciprocate with similar

And, thanks Brian!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Am on holiday in SE Spain, and happen to be staying just round the corner from where forum member Hobbit - Brian to them who know him. - lives. So i contacted him to see if he fancied showing a visitor around a local course. No problem says he.

The local course (Val del Este) apparently has a few problems at present and he suggested alternatives, so today we went to play at Lorca and i joined in with a local society with which he is involved. Not only did he arrange everything, but he came round to pick me up, and also loaned me a set of clubs.

The course was great - tough if you didn't hit it straight (which i didn't) and tough if you didn't get the length right (which i didn't). I played some good shots from time to time - but mostly not. (I'll keep my score under my hat thanks.) At times i suspect Brian wondered what he'd let himself in for. But i have to say, it was a great day out. There's now't much wrong playing golf in good company - which today was.

And it goes to show how great this forum is. I contacted a guy i have never met previously, and who I only know as an on-line presence on here - and he goes out of his way to make my day enjoyable. Long may it last. And long may l and others reciprocate with similar

And, thanks Brian!
Great stuff :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

Only played once with Brian but thoroughly enjoyed his company. Glad you had a great day (y)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To be fair to Jerry he'd never played with the clubs before. I'd been up half the night jacking the lofts, and bending the putter. Lorca has some tough carries, and it does beat you up if you're not on your game. And he certainly showed on the back 9 how good he can hit the ball. Brilliant day, brilliant company.

A forum meet? Why not before the UK season starts. You can get a twin room in a decent hotel locally for less than €50 a night - €25 each. Car hire out of season is quite literally a few Euro/day, just watch for the add on's they try and sneak in. Most golf courses are less than €50/round, inc. buggy. Flights; there's some great spring deals just out.

5 nights hotel, 3 rounds, flights and car hire.... about €400.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Another one for the strengths of the forum, went to Mauritius and bumped into Slab at Il aux Cerf. Always nice to put a face to the name.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

And, thanks Brian!
He is a good egg that Hobbit.

That’s the power of the forum and this is what happens if forumers get stuck in and try and get on and meet each other 👍

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair to Jerry he'd never played with the clubs before. I'd been up half the night jacking the lofts, and bending the putter. Lorca has some tough carries, and it does beat you up if you're not on your game. And he certainly showed on the back 9 how good he can hit the ball. Brilliant day, brilliant company.

A forum meet? Why not before the UK season starts. You can get a twin room in a decent hotel locally for less than €50 a night - €25 each. Car hire out of season is quite literally a few Euro/day, just watch for the add on's they try and sneak in. Most golf courses are less than €50/round, inc. buggy. Flights; there's some great spring deals just out.

5 nights hotel, 3 rounds, flights and car hire.... about €400.

Brian; kind of you to offer some excuse on my behalf! But I'll admit that it did take me half the round to realise that the number on the headcover didn't necessarily match what was actually inside the headcover 😁.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good stuff..that’s what it’s all about..

Ps...what’s up with Val del Este...it’s an old favourite...hope nothing serious

According to Hobbit, a wrong fertilizer mix has caused the greens to burn out - with large dead patches. Repairs in hand but he says they're not really fit to play on yet. (Or at least not in his opion - it was where i fancied playing until he suggested otherwise).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Eeeek...really like that course, good variety of holes and terrain without being daft or dull! Over due a visit, usually go to Desert Springs from there too, but its been a while

Aguilon, just up the coast is in amazing condition. Let me know if you need a game.