A couple of rules questions

MarkHK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
During a rather beer fueled Captains Day yesterday the followng questions were raised and hotly debated until the early hours of the monring, hopefully someone can provide the answers.

1.During a matchplay event you pick up a broken tee from the teeing area to use, you lose the hole as you are using equipment that you did not bring to the course.

2. If you have your name put on your golf bag you will be DQ from a club competition as this is only allowed if you are a pro.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Certainly 2 is rubbish. There are no rules about having your name on your bag, that would be ridiculous.

As for 1, doesn't seem right. I assume from this you also wouldn't pick up any 'finders' proVs etc.

If memory serves, Retief Goosen always looks for broken tees to use on par 3s.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm sure there used to be a rule about the name thing but that was far back in the mists of time.

Better not be a rule about the tees because if there is you can strip me of every competition round I've ever played - always look for a broken tee on par 3's and some par 4's.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nonsense and nonsense. Having your name on your golf bag may make you a bit of a prat, but there is no penalty in the rules of golf. Using broken tees is an excellent idea on par-3s and some courses place little containers at the side of the tee for them.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Using a plastic castle tee is instant loss of hole......or it should be.

Having your name sewn into your pants & vest is also an infringement of rule 38/1(h), loss of hole and street cred.

MarkHK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies, everyone seems to agree with what I was saying on the night. The name on the bag thing was because I was using my Trilby Tour bag from this year and all of the entrants names were put on the bags.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The name on the bag thing was because I was using my Trilby Tour bag from this year and all of the entrants names were put on the bags.

Mine went straight in the bin!! (In fact, I gave it to my Stepson who is in the process of picking the lettering off).
Worse bag I have ever seen, reminds me of an old Tom Watson bag I had in the 80's