A 2 part question on wedges

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Morning folks. Bit of back ground.

Recently (... As some of you know) I've added the Mizuno MP-32's to my bag. I want to get a better spacing than previously with my wedges. My old PW had 45* loft, the Mizzy PW has 47* loft.

Ideally I only want to have 3 wedges (Inc PW)

Q1. How would you think it best to space it? 50* & 54*, 52* & 58* etc

Q2. Is probably more your opinion than a question. Of the Titleist Vokey or the Mizuno MP (T-11 or R-12), which would you consider the better of the 2, both in feel and how they play?

As always, all opinions appreciated :thup:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wedge spacing is quite personal Gareth. I have played around with many combinations but have settled on 47* MP-T, 52* TM Z-TP and a 56* MP-T10.
This works best for me, but as I say others like to have something beyond 56*, it's very subjective.

As for the MP-R I can't comment as never used them but the MP-T11 was the reason that I sold my 52* Vokey (albeit I then sold the MP-T11 as found the Z-TP far superior)...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use a 50 (bounce 6 )gap wedge and 56 ( bounce 10 ) sand wedge. I have the MP 10 black knic with the old groves, nice clubs if i were to see the same specs for sale on my travels i would buy the same again as spares. These are still legal till 2024 i think.

Personally would stick with the mizuno as the irons are forged so would want the wedges the same. the Vokey are cast and don't feel the same imo.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally, I don't think the 54* is enough as your most lofted wedge, so would be looking at 56* or 58*. It also depends if you want a "proper" SW, with a lot of bounce like 12*, or are happy to go with lower bounce in the club you will have to use in bunkers. It tends to be that 58* wedges don't offer much loft as they are designed as lob wedges rather than sand wedges.

As for the difference between Mizzy or Vokey... well, they are both cracking clubs, so it's really down to personal preference.

And should you go won the MP-R12 route, I know where you can get a good deal on the SW ;)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
My PW is the same loft (47) and I have 52 (4 bounce) and 56 (10 bounce) both of which are the MP-T11's. I find this suits me. I may swap out the 56 for a 58 in future, but I don't find it hinders me. The only shot I would struggle with is the flop shot over a bunker to a tight pin (or similar) but then I really don't have the game to be pulling shots off like that on a regular basis, so I'd rather play the safe shot onto the green and two putt (or three putt :mad:)

I really like them as they've got a more compacted head than the R-12's, which seems to suit my eye. Never tried Vokey's but they can't be bad. I'd be shocked if I noticed much difference between them and the Mizzy's though.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My PW is 47 and I went for 52 & 56, but I found the gap just a few yards too big between PW and GW so had the GW bent to 51. It sounds like nothing but I feel it makes my yardages nicer.

I haven't tried one in a while, but the last time I used a Mizuno wedge the leading edge looked too rounded to me so I'd go with Vokeys.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty much what has been said by others gareth,. My current wedge set up is stock PW, 52 & 58.

im not so much worried about lofts, although their pretty well spaced at 6* each, but more the distances.

a good PW is 115 max, with an easy wedge being around 100.
a good 52* is about 100 max, with an easy swing being around 75/80
and a good 58* is about 75, with an easy swing being around 55/60

this gives me enough options around the greens to be able to play low chip and runs, medium height pitches or lob shots, and i can manufacture a variety of shots with either of the 3 wedges.

Part of me sometimes wondered if i should have gone 50/56 instead of 52/58, but one thing isw for sure and thats is that im glad the 60* got junked.... its overkill.

Regarding which model, dont be shy of the MPT10, you can pick them up cheap now, and their a very good forged wedge ;)

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
if your looking for ideally 3 wedges inc PW then 52 56/58 would seem the most logical way to go, i had a look at vokeys recently after having never really being happy with Z TP's but decided i liked the 588's better.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is very very personal to the player what they need from their wedges. My set up is 48* PW, 54-12 SW, 60-04 LW and I find that is perfect for what I am looking for from my wedge setup. I would say you should get the T-11 in a 54-09 SW then a 60-05 so your setup would be 47*, 54*, 60*. But I am only saying as it is what I prefer.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a 50 (bounce 6 )gap wedge and 56 ( bounce 10 ) sand wedge.
When funds permit I'm also going down the 50deg and 56deg route instead of 3 wedge. I never find a situation that wants for my 60deg which my 56 couldn't cope with. I'm adding a 50 wedge/blade as although my PW is 56deg I can still power through it and I'm after something I can control easier

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use 4 wedges and they have a 4 deg spacing. I use Mizunos, PW is 48, Gap 52, Sand 56, Lob 60. I use MP-R wedges as I like the way they cut under the ball. You need to consider bounce for the type of course you play (fairways, rough and sand)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
was thinking about wedges tonight, after practising bunker shots today I didnt really get loads of height, my sw is 54 degree's. would a 58/60 give me an extra option especially for in deep bunkers (soz for thread hijack)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
was thinking about wedges tonight, after practising bunker shots today I didnt really get loads of height, my sw is 54 degree's. would a 58/60 give me an extra option especially for in deep bunkers (soz for thread hijack)

Do you open the face and play the ball forward if you want more height?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It's not as if you'll be playing anywhere with deep bunkers though is it?

:evil laugh:

;)