9 Hole Course Handicaps

iand1964

Visit site
Can anyone explain why the differential between course rating and par is applied to the calculation of a 9 hole course handicap, but this is not done for 18.

I play on a 9 hole course, receiving 10 shots over 18 holes, but only get 3 over 9.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can anyone explain why the differential between course rating and par is applied to the calculation of a 9 hole course handicap, but this is not done for 18.
Because EG forgot to change the manual ? :oops:
I play on a 9 hole course, receiving 10 shots over 18 holes, but only get 3 over 9.
Are the stroke indices not allocated odd to one half and even to the other on that course?

iand1964

Visit site
Because EG forgot to change the manual ? :oops:

Are the stroke indices not allocated odd to one half and even to the other on that course?
Yes they are, but if we play a 9 hole competition the tables provided by England Golf (and their app) only give 3 shots off yellow and 4 off white.
Our course rating is less than par, but there is another 9 hole course locally where the course rating is higher than par. The England Golf app tells me I would get 10 shots there for 18 holes and 7 for 9 holes!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes they are, but if we play a 9 hole competition the tables provided by England Golf (and their app) only give 3 shots off yellow and 4 off white.
Our course rating is less than par, but there is another 9 hole course locally where the course rating is higher than par. The England Golf app tells me I would get 10 shots there for 18 holes and 7 for 9 holes!

On our 9 hole course the app is showing a different slope etc compared to the database and boards.

Have you checked the rating database and does the club have the tables displayed and did someone check them before buying them.

iand1964

Visit site
On our 9 hole course the app is showing a different slope etc compared to the database and boards.

Have you checked the rating database and does the club have the tables displayed and did someone check them before buying them.
Yes the boards correspond with the England golf database and app, as well as the R&A website calculator.
The difference between course rating and par is applied in the 9 hole course handicap calculation, but not for 18. This appears in line with CONGU guidelines, but I don't understand the logic.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having read the revise Guidance on handicapping manual I see what the OP is getting at.

Calculation of the Course Handicap for the Front 9 holes
CH = ((HI ÷ 2 ) x (9-hole Slope ÷ 113)) + (9-hole CR – 9-hole Par)

This appears in Appendic I II B

But I read this as applying to calculation of score differentials only

II The Course Handicap and its Use in Calculating Score Differentials for Handicapping Purposes