7 Wood/9 Wood

Fabia999

Visit site
Hello,

I struggle with distance on most of my shots. This quickly racks up my scores on par 5s.. until I started using my 5 wood.
I am hitting this very well at the range and struggling on the grass (getting the ball up in the air). The pro who I do lessons with recommends a 7/9 wood, maybe both.
It seems 7/9 woods aren’t used as much anymore, does anyone still have one or both in there bags. If so, what make and why?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know of two seniors who use 9 woods which they can hit around 120-135 yards, they both struggle to hit irons any significant distance so uesing the 9 wood is a good option for them.

Sorry I don't know the make of the clubs but I'm sure you will find them

Good luck

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
used to be a guy at our whos lowest iron in his bag was 8, rest woods, went from 20 to 13 once he git rid of the irons... I think he even had something called a 10 wood though no idea what makes any of them where.

he moved to Aberdeen so can't even look next time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used a 7 wood for about 20 years ( Wilson Invex) great design looking at the front it had rugby ball shape so it did not get tangled up in the grass. Great for getting out of deep rough with very good distance. I only dropped it when I started to use hybrids and age meant I could no longer reach a certain par 3 with it ( brilliant for drop and stop with a shot length of about 200 yards with a ball off the a tee).

I have a mate who we all call 7 wood Norman because he uses it so much.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I used a Callaway steel head plus 7 wood for a number of years as a junior!it was a fairway finder off the tee and for long approach shots it Was a beast and saved me I don’t know how many times ,I still actually got it up the loft with other spare clubs I don’t use .i fancied having a play with a good 5 wood again but then a playing partner put the idea of a driving iron in my head .

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have the cobra F8 7/8 wood and it is my favourite club In the bag. I got the piss taken out of me when I first pulled it out but that soon stopped. I never got on with hybrids and feel comfortable using it in all sorts of situations

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have put my old Mizuno 7 wood back in my bag over the winter and it has displaced what was one of my best clubs, a callway big bertha hybrid. Used it today - for shots about 170-190 yards it is lovely and consistent. Easy to hit off the turf, fairway or rough. Well worth a try if long irons or hybrids don't work for you.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bought a 5 wood 2 years ago, best club Ive ever bought.

Ive been looking for the same model for 6 months in a 7 wood, but hardly any about in stiff and 23 degrees, unless you buy from the USA.

Still looking, but use what is effective for you rather than what impresses others.(y)

Hoganman1

Visit site
I recently switched to Taylormade M2 High launch Fairway metals. The 3 is 16.5* and the 5 is 21*. Basically, they are 4 and 7 metals. I've found the 21* is very versatile from tight fairway lies to long par threes. I highly recommend giving them a try if you are struggling with your standard 15* 3 metal and 18* 5 metal.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Check the lofts before you buy. I got custom fitted this April from a US company called Tour Edge and now carry a 19.5 Degree 5 Wood and a 24 Degree 9 Wood. 5 Wood replaced the 2-3 Iron and the 9 Wood the 4 Iron. I do still carry a 4 Hybrid that hits it lower (handy in the desert courses I play in Arizona) but I would say look for at least 4 degrees of loft separation between the 5 and the 7 wood.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I recently switched to Taylormade M2 High launch Fairway metals. The 3 is 16.5* and the 5 is 21*. Basically, they are 4 and 7 metals. I've found the 21* is very versatile from tight fairway lies to long par threes. I highly recommend giving them a try if you are struggling with your standard 15* 3 metal and 18* 5 metal.

Got the same set up and find them extremely good.

D

Deleted member 21258

I have adams original tight lies 7 and 9 wood, which are 24 degrees and 28 degrees.

Great clubs to hit, on a normal hit goes on a lovely high hit, but they can be hit low as well if necessary. To give you an idea on length, they go carry 165 yards and 180 yard carry on a good hit(my x14 callaway 7 iron goes 150 yards to compare, so for me they are like a 5.5 and 4 iron but will depend on your iron lofts when comparing).

I went to them as 6 iron and below I was very inconsistent with. I also have 5hl and 3hl m1 woods.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The two woods I carry are a Cobra driver 10.5, and a Taylor Made bubble shaft 7 wood.
The latter is brilliant off the winter tee mats. My home course is short so I rarely use it off the fairway or rough. Though I think I may use it in the wind out of rough when the occasion demands, with Spring coming.
But, I tell you, when I catch it right - that bubble shaft is lovely - it is a beautiful club to hit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of years back before I had a hybrid I borrowed my dad's 7 wood for a while. It was made by Mitsushiba or something obscure. I found I would either hit it fantastically well or spectacularly badly on about a 50-50 ratio. Was kind of fun in a way, with the suspense and all waiting to see which it would be.