5 wood v Hybrid

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
In my bag I have a 5-wood, but it has hardly seen any action.. I think I've taken it out of the bag < 5 times. I also have 2x hybrids - a 20degree and a 23degree.

And so, as I can't hit a fairway wood off the deck to save my life, I was wondering if it made more sense to replace the 5W with a 17/18degree hybrid? I can hit my hybrids pretty well and so wondered if using a longer hybrid would help, or should I persevere with trying to play the wood off the deck?

:thup:

DCB

Visit site
I think playing on a parkland course a fairway wood is probably a better all round option in that loft. If it is causing you trouble speak to Craig your Pro and get a lesson or two with the fairways. It'll help you no end at home and away.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did the same as I hit my 21 or 23 degree hybrids really well usually and they are very versatile. Can't seem to find that consistency with my 17 degree though and I read on here that low loft hybrids are tough to hit. My new course is longer than I'm used to so I need a good hybrid/fairway wood and as I'm carrying I plumped for the 5 wood and left the hybrid at home. I tend to need to use it on every Par 5 and many Par 4's rather than perhaps once at my old course and have become way more consistent with it and it's a real go to club nowadays. So much so the 3 wood is likely to get an airing!

So perhaps it's a matter of using it more and getting to know it?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
depends on the make. i always struggled to get my r9 3 wood off the deck. one day my pro told me to try the ping anser 4 wood. BINGO....problem sorted. i've noticed that some Fairway woods have a flatter/ square'r profile on the bottom

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm going to be trying out a few 5 woods or looking on here for a bargain for the opposite reasons. I'm inconsistent with hybrids and I have a distance gap that I think only a 5w will fill so my hybrid is up for sale.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless you are looking for club for a specific length (for a couple of Par 3s for example), I'd suggest you concentrate on practicing your game from 80-100 yards in. That's always going more benefit, imo, than having the exact distance club that you are highly to hit onto the green anyway! I'm certainly realistic about my 17* performance.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
fairway wood off the deck is IMO the hardest shot for a mid to high handicapper.Stick with what you are consistent with.
FWIW In a similar thread I have been going through this,launch monitor session for me on thursday to settle it.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
fairway wood off the deck is IMO the hardest shot for a mid to high handicapper.Stick with what you are consistent with.
FWIW In a similar thread I have been going through this,launch monitor session for me on thursday to settle it.

Just back from launch monitor session and R11s 5 wood is 10 yard longer than the RBZ 19 degree hybrid for me,but the hybrid was way more consistant with a lower ball flight as well.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
consistant as in i put it in the same direction every time and distances were nearly always within 5 yards of each other,the 5 wood was similar distances but different direction and very high ball flight.gale force winds did not help mind! give me a touch shorter and accurate any day.