4th hole

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am in same place with our 8th. A short par 4 but problems if you miss the fairway and bigger problems if you miss the green. I've pulled back from driver to 4w to hybrid - now to 5i. Problem with 5i is that though I usually hit the fairway (not always) I am that much further back and the 9i or pitching wedge shot in becomes much more hazardous. Thinking that my average over the last 10 rounds has been a six.

My current strategy when playing the hole is to try and put out of my mind that I am playing the 8th. I am on a tee hitting a 5i, then I am on a fairway hitting a pitching wedge - and trying to not take in where I am as I play a shot :) And that's it. Nuts. Bloody game.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am in same place with our 8th. A short par 4 but problems if you miss the fairway and bigger problems if you miss the green. I've pulled back from driver to 4w to hybrid - now to 5i. Problem with 5i is that though I usually hit the fairway (not always) I am that much further back and the 9i or pitching wedge shot in becomes much more hazardous. Thinking that my average over the last 10 rounds has been a six.

My current strategy when playing the hole is to try and put out of my mind that I am playing the 8th. I am on a tee hitting a 5i, then I am on a fairway hitting a pitching wedge - and trying to not take in where I am as I play a shot :) And that's it. Nuts. Bloody game.

Unless you're off scratch why not mentally allocate one of your shots to that hole and call it a Par 5 and play it as such?

Playing devils wotsit there seems to be a bit too much focus on hole par rather than whats an acceptable hole score on a few of the examples

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless you're off scratch why not mentally allocate one of your shots to that hole and call it a Par 5 and play it as such?

Playing devils wotsit there seems to be a bit too much focus on hole par rather than whats an acceptable hole score on a few of the examples
You are of course correct that that is what I should do. And indeed playing a 5i off the tee I am part way to doing that. However as I get a shot on the hole in stableford scoring I actually put additional pressure on myself to get a par - it feels like it should be an easy 3pointer for me :( Must change my thinking...

Maybe I just take driver and if I get into trouble I just extricate myself from that trouble with the shot I can play best that will give me an easy 3rd shot to the green with two putts for a five - putt for a four on a good day.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the exact same issue.

Our 2nd hole is a fairly long par 5 with a fence/road around 130 yards from the tee box.

Im terrible off the tee, and i regularly hit a 8/9/10 on this hole because my tee shot is awful. The fence/road is really off putting and its like a huge mental block for me.

Once i get over the fence (usually in about 3) i get to the green no problem in a normal-ish amount of shots...the fact its the 2nd hole means i'm fighting an uphill battle for the rest of the round

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of my old courses had a difficult long par 3.
Tough bunker front left water all along the back and right. not tight to the green but something to worry about.
Narrow green lying left to right, meant you really had to take on the bunker
Very easy to take a 5.

I usually played a 3/4 iron to the front approach where I was guaranteed a 4 but more likely a 3.
You need to get a plan in place and stick to it, as you say it is all in the head. Break the mould.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You are of course correct that that is what I should do. And indeed playing a 5i off the tee I am part way to doing that. However as I get a shot on the hole in stableford scoring I actually put additional pressure on myself to get a par - it feels like it should be an easy 3pointer for me :( Must change my thinking...

Maybe I just take driver and if I get into trouble I just extricate myself from that trouble with the shot I can play best that will give me an easy 3rd shot to the green with two putts for a five - putt for a four on a good day.

Yeah I can see the rationale
I tend to get more of my 3 pointers because of one putts rather than getting to the green in fewer shots and still 2-putting, so whatever gets me closest to the pin in 3 (otherwise you're chasing to get on in 2 and might your subconscious be targeting a birdie when you thought you were trying to par it?)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah I can see the rationale
I tend to get more of my 3 pointers because of one putts rather than getting to the green in fewer shots and still 2-putting, so whatever gets me closest to the pin in 3 (otherwise you're chasing to get on in 2 and might your subconscious be targeting a birdie when you thought you were trying to par it?)
Hmmm, I am indeed always aiming to hit the green and taking 5i off the tee actually makes that harder - and the consequences of missing the green are significant.

So get the ball right down there not far from the green, and even if in trouble with no, or only a dangerous and risky shot to the green - a safe recovery back onto the fairway or thereabouts will see me with a short pitch or chip onto the green - with many more shot options to almost ensure I don’t miss the green and get into further and much more problematic trouble...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I first joined my club I had real trouble getting a par on the first hole, a short par 5.
There are several bunkers in reach off the tee left and right.
I went a few medals getting bogey (or worse). Bunker off the tee then in the burn just in front of the green as my third shot ended up being longer.
I then hit 5 iron off the tee to be short of the bunkers, another 5 iron short of the next bunkers and 9/wedge onto the green - made par every time.
So, make a change for a few rounds and see how that works for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the exact same issue.

Our 2nd hole is a fairly long par 5 with a fence/road around 130 yards from the tee box.

Im terrible off the tee, and i regularly hit a 8/9/10 on this hole because my tee shot is awful. The fence/road is really off putting and its like a huge mental block for me.

Once i get over the fence (usually in about 3) i get to the green no problem in a normal-ish amount of shots...the fact its the 2nd hole means i'm fighting an uphill battle for the rest of the round

Purely in the mind. Visualisation and rehearsal in my humble condition would serve well. Picture the ball either flying past the fence with gay abandon or even starting away from the fence and fading back into the fairway. Pick a specific target (make it as small and absolute as you can) and rehearse your swing picturing the ball going to your target

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Purely in the mind. Visualisation and rehearsal in my humble condition would serve well. Picture the ball either flying past the fence with gay abandon or even starting away from the fence and fading back into the fairway. Pick a specific target (make it as small and absolute as you can) and rehearse your swing picturing the ball going to your target

Easier said than done! But, good advice.?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Easier said than done! But, good advice.?

Definitely takes practice and commitment but it is something I've worked on as part of some NLP thinking I've done this year. Visualisation has become better, especially on very tight holes but it does take work which I started on the practice ground and range. I don't get it right all of the time, especially if the swing isn't working (which you could argue is exactly when I should be trying it even more) but it is coming