3w advice....

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Driver and 3w have been on the naughty step during rounds for the time being and I have been working hard at the range to get them back on track.

Thinking of re-introducing the 3w into my round tomorrow as I was hitting it the best I ever have at the range yesterday.

Word of advice? If it isn't going well from the off, does it go back on the naughty step, or do I persevere with it for the round, potentially at the cost of my score....

My last two rounds have been my best ever.... 97 and 98, and I don't have much to play with to break a 100 again!!! Help?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Is this a comp or a bounce game? If it's a bounce then stick with it. My advice would be to not think about how it could go wrong. Visualise what you want it to do and then execute it. Thinking I hope this goes well or don't go right etc will not help you make the swing you need to.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is this a comp or a bounce game? If it's a bounce then stick with it. My advice would be to not think about how it could go wrong. Visualise what you want it to do and then execute it. Thinking I hope this goes well or don't go right etc will not help you make the swing you need to.

Just me playing alone at a pay and play course (Richmond Park).....

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice easy swing / tempo. I suppose if it is really destructive then back to the drawing board, but hoping that won't be the case.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am struggling with my 3w too. Getting more consistent with it off the tee, but rarely get a good strike off of the ground.

In the short term its nice to get a good score by reverting to a club I am more confidence with, but in the long term the more practice with the club on the course should be of benefit. I am torn at times, but try and talk myself into needing the practice with the 3w when the opportunity to use it arises.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am struggling with my 3w too. Getting more consistent with it off the tee, but rarely get a good strike off of the ground.

In the short term its nice to get a good score by reverting to a club I am more confidence with, but in the long term the more practice with the club on the course should be of benefit. I am torn at times, but try and talk myself into needing the practice with the 3w when the opportunity to use it arises.

What are you playing off at the moment GG26?

The reason I ask is because for me, I want to be under a 100 every time, and my last scores have been 97 and 98. So I am right on the brink..... I think if I was mid 90s or low 90s, I may be more inclined to persevere. On the flip side, distance off the tee on the longer holes is arguably what has cost me getting to low / mid 90s! Cruel sport! You just never quite know at the high handicap level...

Last edited:

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
The Driver and 3w have been on the naughty step during rounds for the time being and I have been working hard at the range to get them back on track.

Thinking of re-introducing the 3w into my round tomorrow as I was hitting it the best I ever have at the range yesterday.

Word of advice? If it isn't going well from the off, does it go back on the naughty step, or do I persevere with it for the round, potentially at the cost of my score....

My last two rounds have been my best ever.... 97 and 98, and I don't have much to play with to break a 100 again!!! Help?

have you been working at them on your own or as part of a lesson?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
have you been working at them on your own or as part of a lesson?

Both! Just recently, putting the woods and driver into practise hasn't worked well. Range session yesterday was a different ball game and it finally seemed to click.... famous last words! haha

Irons, chipping and putting has all come on leaps and bounds.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm at 26 at the moment thecaddie. I have only broken 100 once so far, but I can understand wanting to keep your scores below that now that you have started to break it regularly.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm at 26 at the moment thecaddie. I have only broken 100 once so far, but I can understand wanting to keep your scores below that now that you have started to break it regularly.

Absolutely. And the 3w is a real tough club to hit off the deck. Try to play a little more within your current ability level, and I think you will see the shots come off!

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
Both! Just recently, putting the woods and driver into practise hasn't worked well. Range session yesterday was a different ball game and it finally seemed to click.... famous last words! haha

Irons, chipping and putting has all come on leaps and bounds.

if it started to click then go with it. when ive been short of confidence with the driver/woods, ive left them well alone. no point in developing a mental block with them. I've played a few rounds without ever touching the big sticks. youll be surprised how many holes can be played with just a 5 iron off the tee and good scores can still be had..

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if it started to click then go with it. when ive been short of confidence with the driver/woods, ive left them well alone. no point in developing a mental block with them. I've played a few rounds without ever touching the big sticks. youll be surprised how many holes can be played with just a 5 iron off the tee and good scores can still be had..

That is exactly what I've been doing atm!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At some point you will need to hit a driver or 3w off the tee regularly to start making scores under 90. I suggest you keep plugging away with these and try and keep the tempo smooth just as you do at the range