3 Minutes +

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had this scenario the other day playing with a mate. I hit a good drive taking a tiger line over a tree. Set off to find it. Parked trolley up and wandered around for a bit, up and down as you do, into a tree infested area and all around, but no sign. So we gave up. My mate set off back to the other side of the fairway passing my trolley as he did so and as if by magic there was my ball about two meters from my trolley sitting up dead easy to spot. "how didn't you see it you blind, beep beep beepity beep".
Now before you say that's the rules mate, surely there should be something in the rules to say that if then the ball was found outside the 3 minute search time but clearly in an area that it should have been found ,just wasn't because people looking for it didn't walk in that area, I mean it was closer to the fairway for Gods sake! In fact only just in the rough. How I didn't see it I'll never know. Had it been in a medal and I'd had a proper round going I'd have been a bit miffed to say the least.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had this scenario the other day playing with a mate. I hit a good drive taking a tiger line over a tree. Set off to find it. Parked trolley up and wandered around for a bit, up and down as you do, into a tree infested area and all around, but no sign. So we gave up. My mate set off back to the other side of the fairway passing my trolley as he did so and as if by magic there was my ball about two meters from my trolley sitting up dead easy to spot. "how didn't you see it you blind, beep beep beepity beep".
Now before you say that's the rules mate, surely there should be something in the rules to say that if then the ball was found outside the 3 minute search time but clearly in an area that it should have been found ,just wasn't because people looking for it didn't walk in that area, I mean it was closer to the fairway for Gods sake! In fact only just in the rough. How I didn't see it I'll never know. Had it been in a medal and I'd had a proper round going I'd have been a bit miffed to say the least.

You lost your ball in the rough It wasn't a good drive, then, was it? Try the kitten line next time.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sure I get all the replies, but but but it was only just in the rough, not buried deep and once seen it was then impossible not to see it from 10 meters away! We're at a serious disadvantage to the pros who have an army spotting and searching for the damn thing. I had a good one on Friday. Poor drive, pulled left and only 150 off the tee but into long grass on the edge of a tree infested area. I would have looked in the wrong area if left to my own devices, but a bloke on the next fairway saw EXACTLY where it went and informed me exactly where it went. I still looked where I thought it was ,coz I'm an idiot, but then I thought I'd follow the blokes advice and there it was EXACTLY where he said it would be. If he'd not seen it I'd have no chance of finding it, as I thought it was deep in, but again it was only on the edge. I'm definately against the 3 mins. Not enough time to search the full area.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sure I get all the replies, but but but it was only just in the rough, not buried deep and once seen it was then impossible not to see it from 10 meters away! We're at a serious disadvantage to the pros who have an army spotting and searching for the damn thing. I had a good one on Friday. Poor drive, pulled left and only 150 off the tee but into long grass on the edge of a tree infested area. I would have looked in the wrong area if left to my own devices, but a bloke on the next fairway saw EXACTLY where it went and informed me exactly where it went. I still looked where I thought it was ,coz I'm an idiot, but then I thought I'd follow the blokes advice and there it was EXACTLY where he said it would be. If he'd not seen it I'd have no chance of finding it, as I thought it was deep in, but again it was only on the edge. I'm definately against the 3 mins. Not enough time to search the full area.
Too subjective unfortunately and therefore completely open to abuse by unscrupulous miscreants.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
…but in your original example you didn’t even search 2m away from where you thought it was and yet you needed more time!!!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
..... We're at a serious disadvantage to the pros who have an army spotting and searching for the damn thing. .....

I wonder if the lower order of professionals who grind out a score on a course devoid of any spectators bar perhaps a passing man and his dog say the same about their more exalted brethren who attract crowds.

Anyway, I am at such a serious disadvantage to the pros in such a vast range of ways - all to do with ability - that not having a gallery is the least of my troubles.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surprised you brought this on here. Ball not found within 3 minutes it's lost.
Sitting next to your bag with a cherry on top - still lost. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three minute search to find your ball - unless you were looking in the wrong place, then you get three more minutes of looking in the correct place. Sounds like a fair and reasonable caveat to me. :p