3 iron?

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
I'm currently having lessons with my local pro and I'm really pleased with how things are going. Things are starting to 'click' all of a sudden and - perhaps bizarrely for a beginner - I'm finding that I'm having success with my long irons (4 and 5) more than my short ones.

Previously I was really struggling for distance - getting perhaps 140 - 150 for my 4 iron, but now I can comfortably hit 180 with it, 185 at a push (at least based on the signs at the range!).

That said, I can't hit a fairway wood for toffee, so was wondering what I could do to bridge the gap. Is it worth trying out some even longer irons - or would a hybrid be a good option?

My 4 iron has 23 degrees loft - what sort of loft is reasonable to get down to with irons before things get tough to hit?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It really depends on you. I wouldn't go lower than a 4i, because I find the 3i is unreliable, and rarely longer than my 4i, as I don't get enough height on it.

Hybrids can be useful, but are not for every one.

To me, the way to get your handicap down would not come from hitting longer irons and getting more distance (180 for a 4i is fine), but making alot less mistakes. 3i and down will lead to more mistakes in my opinion, but then I am not, nor ever have been a good ball striker.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
for a high handicapper im not sure id recommend an iron with any less loft. My 2 iron has 17 degrees if I remeber correctly and whilst I have always been a huge fan of long irons its recently lost its spot in the bag to a hybrid (this may change in summer)

you only have to see how many pros are switching to hybrids very few carry a 2 iron these days and many have left the 3 iron out too

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd leave the 3 iron well alone. Its no coincidence pros are dopping it in favour of a fairway wood or hybrid. Personally I'd look at a hybrid as it'll give you more variation (tee shots, light rough and even chipping)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Since my pro started changing my swing this year to a flatter plane, I am much better with a 5i than a 9i. It'll work itself out with practice but it's a weird feeling.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could always try one of the mp hybrid irons from Mizuno. They are slightly easier to hit than a normal iron and go a bit further too.