250 greatest guitarists

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did any of you actually read the criteria?

“In making the list, we tended to value heaviness over tastiness, feel over polish, invention over refinement, risk-takers and originators more than technicians. We also tended to give an edge to artists who channeled whatever gifts god gave them into great songs and game-changing albums, not just impressive playing.”

So the premise of the list is that we are going to make a list of the 250 best guitarists but no based on their ability to play the guitar.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
So the premise of the list is that we are going to make a list of the 250 best guitarists but no based on their ability to play the guitar.
Partly based on their ability and partly based on the other things mentioned.

If it was purely ability it was be 250 shredders that most of us would find emotionless.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Partly based on their ability and partly based on the other things mentioned.

If it was purely ability it was be 250 shredders that most of us would find emotionless.
I don't think ability is just purely speed and technicality. I'd count being able to create something beautiful-sounding as ability, for example. Gilmour would certainly still be up there on ability but he's not a shredder at all.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
I don't think ability is just purely speed and technicality. I'd count being able to create something beautiful-sounding as ability, for example. Gilmour would certainly still be up there on ability but he's not a shredder at all.
Everything the likes of a Gilmour or a Moore or even a Knopfler could do (and I LOVE Knopfler) a shredder could do. But I highly doubt they could shred at the highest technical level without a lot of new practice, if ever.

And I prefer the non-shredders. But a list like this is always subjective and they even said that themselves but still the list gets torn apart by people who’d probably struggle to play Wonderwall for the most.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everything the likes of a Gilmour or a Moore or even a Knopfler could do (and I LOVE Knopfler) a shredder could do. But I highly doubt they could shred at the highest technical level without a lot of new practice, if ever.

And I prefer the non-shredders. But a list like this is always subjective and they even said that themselves but still the list gets torn apart by people who’d probably struggle to play Wonderwall for the most.
What I mean is, of a course a shredder can play what Gilmour and Knopfler play, but could they have written what those guys played? Probably not. Having amazing technical ability doesn't mean you're able to come up with a song or a solo that is iconic and remembered for fifty years.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The intent of the list, like all magazine listicles, is to generate discourse which drives magazine sales and advertising revenue. So they are generally setup to combine elements of subjectivity and fact while planting intentional seeds of controversy to generate a reaction.

In that regard I suppose this list is perfect.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
What I mean is, of a course a shredder can play what Gilmour and Knopfler play, but could they have written what those guys played? Probably not. Having amazing technical ability doesn't mean you're able to come up with a song or a solo that is iconic and remembered for fifty years.
I agree. And it’s why you’re making a strong argument for this list being fine. It’s based on what the authors like and appreciate as well as their technical ability. There are loads of bedroom guitarists out there who criticise Kirk Hammett but look at his influence on modern music.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. And it’s why you’re making a strong argument for this list being fine. It’s based on what the authors like and appreciate as well as their technical ability. There are loads of bedroom guitarists out there who criticise Kirk Hammett but look at his influence on modern music.
Yeah I was, really. Frusciante another example - his solo for Scar Tissue is so simple I learned it when I'd been playing guitar less than a year. But it's beautiful, iconic and perfect for the song. Yngwie Malmsteen would have ruined it. :D

That said I still think it's laughable that they've put Paul McCartney in here. Surely you have to be at least somewhat known for playing guitar - he's a bassist all day long.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is pretty much how I see this too. It reminds me of a muso friend who has an incredible ability to mimic any song by ear across multiple instruments, but, by his own admission, he is completely incapable of writing something original. He’s happy having mastery of his instrument but is incredibly frustrated to not have the mystery creative spark. He may well have some form of undiagnosed autism.

The list is just bad. It’s not consistent with itself and its own rules, probably for the reasons I mentioned above.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Well...I got as far as #197 and found Nuno Bettencourt closely followed at #194 by Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham and decided that its a complete bunch of baloney.....
Just gone on a few more and my decision is confirmed
Steve Lukather at #186
View attachment 49982
Richie Blackmore at 76, absolute nonsense when you see what's above him. And I think golf course rankings are bad, oh boy this one

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not seen the list but I went to see the Waterboys last night and Mike Scott was absolutely fantastic, the guy makes it look easy, used 4 different guitars, played various styles… not bad for a 64 year old!
Saw them last week in Newcastle, brilliant gig. Must have been the 9th or 10th time I've seen Mike Scott, going back to the mid-90s.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My hot take: Dylan ruined music

Before Dylan there were singers and songwriters. Now we have singer/songwriter types who do great songs but have no business singing them themselves.
Imagine Andrew Lloyd Webber insisting he played the Phantom.

Not sure what makes a great guitar player. Is it difficult riffs? Chord progressions? Or playing guitar in a great/famous band?
The few players I know by name are a lot lower than I thought they would be.
Don’t know if he’s on the list but as a guitarist singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot wrote beautiful songs with sublime key changes and arrangements, and almost poetic storytelling lyrics. I only knew of his stuff from his big hits of the 70s but listening to more of late Ive only really now discovered him properly…though sadly recently departed from us.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I knew I should never have read it but I was drawn in like a moth to a flame.:devilish:

Lots of fine choices, so credit where credit's due.

But sadly for me outweighed by so many ludicrous place rankings, staggering omissions and premeditated favouring style over substance that it's impossible to take it even a smidge seriously. 🎸:LOL:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Had to bump this as I just saw this video, haha.

I was glad that he pauses and mentions Tommy Emmanuel in a wtf tone - 3:42 - Is that possible?

In case you don't know who he is, here are a couple of contrasting clips.

When he played the second one at the Bolton gig you could feel your body vibrating!

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Had to bump this as I just saw this video, haha.

I've seen a few of Beato's videos and this is the angriest he's ever been.

Towards the end he appeared to be winding it up and I was sat there thinking "he hasn't mentioned Holdsworth!!!". Fortunately he was keeping it back, a sort of countdown to number 1.

I'm still amazed that none of the rebuttals of Rolling Stone's list has mentioned Mike Oldfield. He's a stunning guitarist.