2022 World Cup.

Swango1980

Visit site
It really shows that the people of Qatar wanted the world cup, just look at the empty seats in today's game with Senegal, if the Qatar public were football oriented they would have those seats full. But no it's just the corrupted FIFA and qatari fa paying for the priveledge of hosting .
Really really poor
First game, so far, I really can't be bothered with. I've just put it on, muted, in background. Are you sure they are empty seats? It looked like there were loads of empty white seats at first glance. But then, when I looked more closely, it is just that loads of the fans are wearing their traditional white robes and headwear

Swango1980

Visit site
Just started watching the Qatar game, and Qatar looked to have a great shout for a penalty (only saw the last few highlights). Is this another VAR shocker (or lack of VAR)?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
First game, so far, I really can't be bothered with. I've just put it on, muted, in background. Are you sure they are empty seats? It looked like there were loads of empty white seats at first glance. But then, when I looked more closely, it is just that loads of the fans are wearing their traditional white robes and headwear

was just thinking this! Pretty sure there's a lot of men in traditional robes etc.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Just started watching the Qatar game, and Qatar looked to have a great shout for a penalty (only saw the last few highlights). Is this another VAR shocker (or lack of VAR)?

No , fault lays with the ref. That was a pen. Didn’t go to the VAR, which surprised me.
Who decides something goes to VAR? The ref or the VAR team?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could still happen. If USA beat England tonight and Iran v USA ends in a draw a Wales win over England would knock England out of the World Cup.

EDIT - If USA beat England tonight any result apart from a USA win against Iran, coupled with a Wales win over England would knock England out.
England 1/66 to qualify. USA and Iran around evens. wales around 14/1. Not many hard up bookies! Your choice where to put your money but don’t tell Mrs Colch!

Swango1980

Visit site
Tried to con the ref instead of getting his shot off.
Looking for the pen.
Just seen it again.

Not sure what you mean by "con" the referee? He didn't throw himself over, the opponent genuinely brought him down.

There is debate about him "looking" for the penalty, by moving his foot across the ball, between the ball and the challenge of the opponent. However, is that not just a basic football move? When an opponent is coming to challenge for the ball, it is natural to try and get your body between them and the ball so they can't get to it. If they then go through you, it is a foul. I can't imagine any player is ever coached to keep a nice open gap for the opponent to get their foot on the ball?

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes. Asked because in Rugby league, it’s the other way round.
How does the ref know to ask for review, if he hasn't seen something and therefore has no idea he has missed anything?

Is it easier in Rugby League, because there are more natural stoppages? If that is the case, I can imagine it might be easy for the rugby referee to have a quick word or 2 to the VAR guy during every break, just in case they need to take it further. Probably more difficult in football, where the ball can be put immediately back in play once it goes out.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re the next world cup, it is being hosted by three countries. Now my question is, which of the three countries are going to be given automatic qualification, as if all three get it then surely that is taking away two teams that would otherwise have qualified on their results.
I don't know the answer I'm just wondering if anyone does and can let me and many more know.

Swango1980

Visit site
Re the next world cup, it is being hosted by three countries. Now my question is, which of the three countries are going to be given automatic qualification, as if all three get it then surely that is taking away two teams that would otherwise have qualified on their results.
I don't know the answer I'm just wondering if anyone does and can let me and many more know.
No idea. Maybe they'll have one team of All Stars, made up of Canadian, American and Mexican players. Sounds like the sort of thing they would love.