2022 World Cup.

Swango1980

Visit site
£2 accumulator on Saudi Arabia and Australia to win today. Had they come through, I'd have won £550. I was tempted to keep it alive after Oz scored, but Mbappe looked lively beforehand. So, cashed in for just over £90, and France then equalised just after. Happy days

Swango1980

Visit site
Germany might still be able to wear the OneLove armband, as they are taking FIFA to court. Currently, they won't be wearing it, as FIFA threatened "massive sporting sanctions". However, a special adhoc Court of Arbitration for Sport was set up for World Cup, and has an aim of making a decision within 48 hours

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Saudi fans in the stadium. What percentage of them were female, I wonder?
I'm somewhat biased, I admit, but in that game I wanted both sides to lose somehow.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Same comms who were saying how important it is to get off to a flying start after England won 6-2 now saying its not that important losing the first game as long as you still qualify lol

A certain Scottish gentleman that we were listening to last night congratulated the Welsh team and, with a big grin, then informed the largely English audience that we had only played a pub team. He did then admit, with an equally big grin, that he was just a jealous Scot. ???

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A certain Scottish gentleman that we were listening to last night congratulated the Welsh team and, with a big grin, then informed the largely English audience that we had only played a pub team. He did then admit, with an equally big grin, that he was just a jealous Scot. ???

A Scot who was born and brought up in London. :eek:

Swango1980

Visit site
John Hartson didn't realise that VAR would only look at a potential handball if it was in the box (i.e. potential penalty). The main commentator had to explain to him that one of the criteria is that it needs to be in the box for VAR to intervene, and VAR will not act elsewhere on the pitch. He just grunted in surprise. I always wondered how much research co-commentators did before each match. With John Hartson, I actually wonder how much football generally he watches, let alone specific research on the teams he is watching. It is almost like he has not watched a lot of football at all, and his comments are purely based on his memory of being a footballer himself, a time when VAR didn't exist.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No kidding, but it illustrates Kane is likely to pass the ball in that situation ;)
I am suprized he passed to Grealish.
Most strikers 5-1 up would not pass that imo.
Most of Kanes assists to son is when he decides he wants to play in midfield , he’s good at it if he has the runners.
They are a formidable pair for spurs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
John Hartson didn't realise that VAR would only look at a potential handball if it was in the box (i.e. potential penalty). The main commentator had to explain to him that one of the criteria is that it needs to be in the box for VAR to intervene, and VAR will not act elsewhere on the pitch. He just grunted in surprise. I always wondered how much research co-commentators did before each match. With John Hartson, I actually wonder how much football generally he watches, let alone specific research on the teams he is watching. It is almost like he has not watched a lot of football at all, and his comments are purely based on his memory of being a footballer himself, a time when VAR didn't exist.
Yes he’s there because he’s Welsh.

Swango1980

Visit site
If anyone didn't see it, hopefully you see the highlights. Morocco just had a long range shot, straight at the keeper. We talked about exaggeration from Hartson yesterday. Well, once this shot was hit, Hartson squealed as if Bale had just hit a screamer into the top corner in the final seconds of the World Cup final, to win it. It actually made me jump, I was not expecting it at all.

Is John Hartson the best Welsh Co-Commentator out there? Do they have any others out there, off the top of my head, like Toshak or Saunders. I'm guessing ITV are having to use him for other non-Welsh games, just to spread things out amongst the co-commentators they have out there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed. I mentioned it yesterday, but it was a scenario where the player was through in goal, then after he tucked it away (or missed - can't remember now), the flag went up, as they're instructed to do now. Hartson was shouting "how late was that flag?? Have you ever seen a flag as late as that?" As if the last 2 or 3 years has completely passed him by. I felt embarrassed for him really.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it was a few years ago since his cancer treatment, but maybe he has some memory issues caused by the chemotherapy. Common term, chemo brain.

Swango1980

Visit site
So is Neuer wearing the one love armband? as it seems the TV companies arent allowing a close up
I don't think so, but not been able to confirm yet. In the German team photo, they all had their hands over their mouths, indicating they are being silenced by FIFA (I guess)

Swango1980

Visit site
So is Neuer wearing the one love armband? as it seems the TV companies arent allowing a close up
I understand the German Football Association lost a major supermarket chain as a sponsor, after they had to abandon using the One Love armband, and talks were planned with other sponsors. This probably helped prompt Germany into bringing FIFA to court