2019 New Rules Query

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There was a suggestion that the required S & D or Prov Ball to be played for a lost ball was being changed to a drop in the vicinity of where the ball was lost - am I correct in saying that this is NOT being changed for 2019 ?
also is a dropped ball still allowed to run up to 2 club lengths and be in play.
have been trying to read the R&A proof rules but not as easy on a pc screen as with a book in hand.

DCB

Visit site
Dropped ball will hav to come to rest within one club lenght. However, as you will drop from knee height this isn't too hard to do.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Along this line
will the new rule be "Must drop from knee height" or "Can drop"?

is there a visual description as there is when dropping now?

Must, I believe and you can see it in action in the link Colin posted above and also several other vids in the USGA series on the same site

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A subsidiary query on the new rules - are there hard copies of the new rules available yet? And if so, where/how does one get hold of them? (I realise one can read them online, but it just isn't as easy as reading a hard copy - and I don't fancy wasting all my ink in the printer by printing them :) )

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dropped ball will hav to come to rest within one club lenght. However, as you will drop from knee height this isn't too hard to do.

Not strictly correct

c. Ball Dropped in Right Way Must Come to Rest in Relief Area
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]This Rule applies only when a ball is
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]dropped [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]in the right way under Rule 14.3b. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri](1)
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Player Has Completed Taking Relief When Ball Dropped in Right Way Comes to Rest in Relief Area[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]. The ball must come to rest in the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]relief area[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not strictly correct

c. Ball Dropped in Right Way Must Come to Rest in Relief Area
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]This Rule applies only when a ball is
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]dropped [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]in the right way under Rule 14.3b. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri](1)
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Player Has Completed Taking Relief When Ball Dropped in Right Way Comes to Rest in Relief Area[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]. The ball must come to rest in the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]relief area[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

In all cases now there is a defined reference point (or points on a specific line) given in the rule.

There is then a defined relief area. With two exceptions that I am aware of this is within 1 club length from the reference point. There may then be additional restrictions e.g. not nearer the hole, not in a hazard, not on a putting green etc much as currently.

From there the ball must first land on a legal point in that relief area, and must remain in the relief area. Usual bits about not striking the player etc.

The different relief areas that I'm aware of is when taking lateral relief from an unplayable lie where you still have 2 club lengths....but the ball must remain in that relief area unlike currently, and lateral water hazards lateral relief.

Last edited: