2013 weigh in

Holey

Medal Winner
Visit site
For the deluded......you don't lose weight by playing golf. [unless you take less than 2.5 hours for 18 holes.

Don't get me wrong, I am also significantly upping gym time, and dusted off the bike too, but a bit of extra time on the golf course never hurt anyone ;)

Start weight: 21st 0lbs
Now: 18st 13lbs

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Starting weight 18st
Target July 2013 14st
Caveat whilst only losing 20% strength

I need to drop some poundage as my broadness is holding back the flexibility I need to improve my game. I've got to the point in life where a sub 20 hc is more appealing than a 200kg deadlift!

jpenno

Head Pro
Visit site
I will join in

I put on three stone when I stopped running and triathlons after injury in November 2009 started training again last summer and
Currently 14 stone having lost 1 stone 4lb since August, looking to be 13 stone for Manchester marathon at end of April and then down to 12.5 stone for Berlin marathon in September hopefully this will get me to a sub 3:25 finish time

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
Again in this year...

Slightly lighter than last year at 15st 11lbs - target? Just maybe down to 14st something, maybe 14st 13.5lbs would be a good number to start with.

Is the weigh in each Monday??

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For the deluded......you don't lose weight by playing golf...

Health Related Benefits of Golf
  • A walked 18-hole round, carrying a bag or using a hand/pull cart, is approximately equal to a 5-mile walk.
  • The total caloric expenditure for an 18-hole round is approximately 2,000 calories for walking while carrying clubs and 1,300 calories when riding in a cart.
  • Since walking is biomechanically more efficient than running, playing an 18-hole round of golf walking is roughly equivalent to a 3.5 to 4-mile run.
  • When walking 18-holes of golf, blood glucose levels fall by up to 20% for the young, 10% for the middle-aged, and 30% for the elderly players, and body weight is slightly reduced for all groups.
  • Repeated golf practice enhances balance control and confidence among all age ranges.
  • Older golfers tend to have better static and dynamic balance control and confidence than non-golfing older, healthy adults.
  • Regardless of handicap, sex, or course played, golfers exceed 10,000 steps during a typical round of golf – which meets the guideline for exercise recommended by most medical and clinical physicians.

Other ways to burn 1,300 calories:
  • Strength Training for 2 hours and 45 minutes
  • Aerobic Activity for 2 hours and 10 minutes
  • Jogging on a Treadmill for 2 hours and 10 minutes

Source : http://www.landrumgolf.com/fw/main/Health-Benefits-of-Golf-1603.html

The right diet and regular game of golf with friends should see almost anyone lose weight.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
['and body weight is slightly reduced']

Golf is not enough to lose weight you need some sort of aerobic excercise as well.

The reason I have not put on weight this Christmas is that I am walking briskly around 20 miles a week.
A 5 hour round with the half way mars bar and cheeseburger and chips with beer at the 19th just does not work.
This is one of the reasons why I am strongly against slow play. Golf is a sport not a 5 hour snack fest.

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A 5 hour round with the half way mars bar and cheeseburger and chips with beer at the 19th just does not work.
Of course not, you've re-consumed the calories burnt during golf. A 3 hour aerobic gym session ending with a trip to McDonalds on the way home and a few beers in front of the TV would give the same outcome.

What you're saying is Golf+Poor diet is not enough to lose weight - which I agree. What I am saying is that with the right diet, golf (walking/dancing/gardening etc.) is better for you than just sitting in front of the TV/Computer/Games Console. It does not have to be aerobic to burn calories. Aerobic exercise helps burn calories and improve fitness but is not the be-all-and-end-all to losing weight.

jpenno

Head Pro
Visit site
The only realistic way to lose weight (other than surgery) is to consume less calories than you burn. - It doesnt matter how you burn the calories, a long walk, round of golf or strenuous exercise, as long as you dont then consider that you have earnt a treat and eat more than you burn you should lose weight.

I used to do a bit of triathlon training and the guidelines indicate that the average person (75kg) will use 100 calories per mile, it doesnt matter wether you run or walk that mile, it is the energy required to cover that distance.

jpenno

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember my youth in the winter.
2 hour training session with the local football club then down the pub for 3 to 4 beers.
Mind you that was when I was 10 stone!!

One Sunday league team I played for was based in the pub!! The showers were in a former barn and the pitch was at the back of the pub, most teams did like playing at our ground, although its that long ago that they had to close at 3.00pm on a Sunday!

markyjee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been to the gym this morning and weighed myself, 116kg or 18st4lb.
I was 20st 4lb this time last year although was a stone less in the summer so the same result this year is my goal.
Plan on going to gym 4 times a week, watching the calories (aim for 2000 a day) reduce carbs, will weigh in on a fri or sat morning depending on my shifts.
Good luck everyone.