2008 handicapping changes

B

birdieman

As match and handicap I have recently received the new CONGU handicapping booklet for 2008-2011.
There do not appear to be many important changes but there are one or 2 interesting ones -

The main one is there will be 9 hole qualifying competitions permitted, their number will be limited and scoring will only be by stableford format. Any clubs wanting to do this will need to get a 9 hole SSS score for whichever 9 holes they choose (eg front 9 or back 9 or a mix of the two) unless of course you are just a 9 hole course already. It’s aimed at seniors but could be good on winter weekends, summer evenings etc.

From now on in 'Open' competitions (not club comps) there will be 2 CSS scores calculated – one for home players and one for away players.

Clause 19.8 has now become just clause 19 (this is the adjusted stableford scoring).

Clubs have to put up handicaps immediately and not wait until the end of the month to adjust handicaps as some clubs currently do.

All the rest looks like minor administrative stuff. If I discover any other 'exciting' stuff I’ll pass it on.

All the above seem reasonable, hope our club doesn't do 9 hole comps though, I mean how often do you have a great 9 followed by a crap 9, 18 holes is needed to build a proper score, 9 isn't enough to reflect your true ability? Also when I play Opens as an away player I tend to play just ss well as at my home course - sometimes playing a strange track helps you relax and you dont obsess over hazards etc.
What do you lot think?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I agree completely, nine holes are not enough to make a judgement on, and 'playing away' I concentrate much harder, and usually shoot 2 or three under my handicap.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Having been used to playing 18 hole comps, I can't see me enjoying 9 hole comps that much, however it's maybe a good way to encourage some time-limited golfers back into the game.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All the above seem reasonable, hope our club doesn't do 9 hole comps though, I mean how often do you have a great 9 followed by a crap 9, 18 holes is needed to build a proper score, 9 isn't enough to reflect your true ability?
Tricky one this. I have a friend who has regularly played our front nine in two to four over gross before now but his handicap is 16. I know he could easily play off single figures if he put his mind to it and anyone who played with him for those first nine holes would think he was a bandit. He tends to have more trouble on the back nine but I think it's more mental than ability related so I'm sure he could play holes 10-18 as well as he plays 1-9 with better course management. I've always heard that your handicap is supposed to reflect your best golf so you could argue from that that anyone who can shoot 2 over par for 9 holes reasonably regularly should be playing off mid single figures or so. Bit tough if you can't break 45 on the back nine, though!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
can I add my two-pennyworth as a beginner who doesn't yet have a handicap? (working on it though).

I can see an advantage to the 9-hole format, but they should be kept for winter comps only (though possibly evening ones would also work). They would serve as a great introduction for the beginner. BUT the 9-hole and 18-hole handicaps should be kept separate for the reasons above.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have shot level par 3 times on the front, and twice on the back nine, but this doesn't make me a scratch player, or even close.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with murph on this. Played 10 today (5 on each 9) scored 4 over. Often played level in the old days, even now +3 is a possibility. Perhaps the answer would be to only adjust by 1/2 the normal. I'd certainly play a 9 hole qualifying game, but not at the cost of being wickedly cut.

Dave