1st proper gig you went to

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Mine was about 1980ish at the Hammy Odeon...

Scorpions supported by Blackfoot.....

And Blackfoot blew the Scorpions away

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Feeling very young here as there are a lot of bands I don't recognise! :eek: Mine was Muse at Wembley stadium in 2010, it was fantastic, music was good and over 90,000 people meant the atmosphere was mental

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
About 1977 or 78, Lewisham Odeon, Ian Dury & The Blockheads. Haven't stopped going since, and won't stop going 'til they screw the lid down. In the lyrics of the old Jethro Tull song, you're never too old to rock & roll if you're too young to die.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many wont class it as a "gig" per se but Rezerection The Event in August 93 was my first solo flight.
Sons of a loop da loop era, Prodigy, GTO, Suburban Delay, Ultra Sonic, Dymension plus many many more. 12 hours of EDM bliss.
The first of abiut 20 subsequent Rez all nighters. Miss those nights.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first live gig was "The Who" - before they were well known in the sixties - at a pub in Dartford Kent. Was amazed when they started smashing their equipment up on stage! Thought they were mad!!

I haven't been to that many over the years but another that stands out was in the late seventies at the Woolwich Polytechnic, and saw a band called "Budgie", - LOUD is not the word. They're still going to this day as far as I know.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
OMD at Hannover Kupelsaal in 82
Just found an old live tape of OMD, and have been playing it in the car. Brings back a few memories.

First live gig must have been Reading festival, I lived near the site, but can't remember the year. First single act was Hawkwind.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
robert plant in the early eighties at the hammersmith odeon.

To be fair, one of my mates had someone drop out at the last minute so I helped him out by buying the ticket.

He played no Led Z, and the only one I even recognised was 'big log' (or something like that).

I reckon he still owes me one...

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bush in the Ulsterhall in 1997 was the first indoor gig.

Day Trip to Tipp also in 97 was my first stadium gig. Foo fighters, Manic Street Preachers, and The Prodigy were all amazing. Was the final year of the festival :(.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Saw Queen on the works tour in South Africa way back in 1984. Parents loved them and took me and my brother along. I was 7 and they were blooming awesome

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Jethro Tull 1974 Christchurch (New Town Hall) War Child tour.

An interesting intro to 'Proper Professional' musicians. The contract Steinway had been replaced by an 'inferior' and untuned Yamaha - a local rocker had danced over the Steinway so excluded from non-classical use. The air conditioning would change the temp by 15 degrees and instruments would go out of tune. Anderson suggested an axe would sort it out the following night and was quite happy to take on the heckler, upset about the 45min delay, who called him a <reference omitted> in his cod-piece and Elizabethan outfit.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thin Lizzy, Hammersmith Odeon, Live & Dangerous tour Simply Epic

Couple of weeks later saw Motorhead at Wycombe Town Hall, there were 9 in the audience, still did a full set :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't want to be so rude young man ;)

I think that gig you went to was on 10th Oct 1967 at the ABC at Broad Green, Croydon and apart from The Flowerpot Men, The Mindbenders, and Tomorrow (with Keith West), there was a group called Art. btw, I think that "Grocer jack" is my most hated song - for some reason I can't stand children singing choruses.

Apart from being a Mozart groupie, my first gig (going to, not playing) was at the ABC in Croydon in May 1964 with Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Nashville Teens and The Animals. This was a couple of weeks before House of the rising Sun was released and very few people had heard of them at that time. What was impressive was that the group were on stage doing the opening riffs with very little amplification (may even have been acoustic) when behind us coming down the aisle was Eric Burden who started singing the words without microphone. Quite spine tingling at the time.

Went to The Star in Broad Green many, many times 1965/66 mainly to see John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and the like and must have seen one of the earliest Cream gigs there in Sept 1966. Boy, were they LOUD.

Ah! Those were the days :lol:

Spot on Roger.

I saw Eric Burden with War at Hyde park with Jon Sebastian (Loving Spoonful) and Canned Heat. Saw John Mayall about 5years ago and seeing ex member Walter Trout on 12th May. To be honest, at our age we've seen so much music from rock and roll to in the 50's to today's stuff! It's been great to live through

Luulox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Motorhead at Sheffield city hall around 1984, think it was the bomber tour. Very loud. it was hard to actually make anything out as it sounded like been stood in an hurricane but I enjoyed it and my ears stopped ringing after about 4 days.