18 holes for the first time

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After almost three months of weekly lessons, the driving range and the par 3 course, I played 18 holes for the first time today. There were a couple of holes where I played very poorly, several where I played quite well and the rest were somewhere in between

Seniors have organised sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which really suits me. However, I gained the impression that some golfers are unhappy at playing with novices. In fact, one player that I met, gave a running commentary on what I had done wrong on the previous hole along with what I was doing wrong as I was setting up for my next tee shot! Is this usual behaviour?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
After almost three months of weekly lessons, the driving range and the par 3 course, I played 18 holes for the first time today. There were a couple of holes where I played very poorly, several where I played quite well and the rest were somewhere in between

Seniors have organised sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which really suits me. However, I gained the impression that some golfers are unhappy at playing with novices. In fact, one player that I met, gave a running commentary on what I had done wrong on the previous hole along with what I was doing wrong as I was setting up for my next tee shot! Is this usual behaviour?

Well done on your first round.
Congrats on getting your game in order before venturing out on the big course.
You can always come across some one who thinks he knows it all,but if it upsets you
get a reply in early,something along the lines of "don't you want to get your own game
in order first".
Welcome to the forum.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done on getting out and playing your 1st 18, you'll find the odd know it all and member who isn't keen to play with novices but the vast majority aren't like that. After all we all have been there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well done for getting out. A mate of mine has just taken it up and joined Epsom GC and I went out with him for his first proper 18. I didn't give him any help. He has had some lessons and has the basis of a decent swing. He got round in 114 with a few horror holes. Once he is shown how to chip and putt properly he'll get close to 100. We didn't hold anyone up, and let through quicker players and despite biblical rain he refused to go in.

I would speak to the pro or the roll up organiser. Get involved as its a regular game and you'll improve playing with better players. Sadly there is always moody and ignorant players and so ignore the guy giving you grief and get involved

D

Deleted member 15344

Well done on playing 18

The guy you met isn't the normal but every club had one

Ignore him and start enjoying roll ups

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Welcome to the game and the forum.

I'm afraid people like that do exist in the game. At my old club in a representative match with a guy I'd never played with before proceeded to give me a full critique of my game when I turned my first tee shot over and found the fairway bunker; I was off 8, he was off 22. Ignore it, there are plenty of people out there who will enjoy your company for who you are rather than your golf game, you just need to find them.

bobcat

Visit site
Yep I'd agree with the comments above...

Joining a roll up, not only helps you meet new players and inter grate into the club but also puts you against players of different abilities

Harryvicente

Visit site
I took up golf 5 months ago. I've played 9 holes twice so far and shot around 90 for 9 holes both times. I played a full 18 holes for the first time today. I played from the white tees (2270 yds). I've been taking a lot of lessons and spent a lot of time at the range.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I took up golf 5 months ago. I've played 9 holes twice so far and shot around 90 for 9 holes both times. I played a full 18 holes for the first time today. I played from the white tees (2270 yds). I've been taking a lot of lessons and spent a lot of time at the range.

Keep up the good work mate!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

You'll soon come across the "I FOUND IT" guy, the "rules are rules" guy, the "I used to be off 6 before i did my back" guy and everyones favourite - the loveable and still class but pushing 80 guy.

Not everyone at the club will be the same - tell your playing group you're new to golf on the first tee, 90% of guys will guide you round and do their best to ensure you just enjoy it!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Do they have 9-hole courses in California?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I always imagined everything was bigger and better in California.
At 90 shots for 9 holes the number of shots it’s certainly up there with the biggest - but not so much up with the best. But we all start somewhere. Poster in Calif should soon be knocking on the door of 50 for 9 ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

No this is just that person being a huge 2@ and needs a swift boot to the testes. Everyone starts somewhere and all power to you for doing it. Enjoy golf!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I played my first rounds on the par 3 course at Hoebridge in Surrey. I can't remember how long it was before migrating to the full sized course, although I still remember standing on the first thinking "crikey the flag is miles away!"

The transition from range/par 3 to course is a daunting one that many of us have forgotten