£1000 to spend - One for the Hi-Fi Buffs

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have say £1000 to spend on a HiFi upgrade - amp plus speakers. My source for the time being is going to be my golden oldie Dunlop Systemdek I turntable - a good quality source in it's day, and apparently still holding it's own on the vinyl front.

But how do I split my budget between amp and speakers - 50/50 or what? And any any tips on pairings? Yes I know HiFi buffs will tell me it's very individual taste - but I listen to all types of music - literally I'll enjoy just about anything. And my existing combo is a late 70s Rotel Receiver and fairly new Dali Zensor 1s. My starting point is therefore very low budget end - and as a result I suspect that almost any new amp/speaker combination will sound good.

D

Deleted Member 1156

When I was into HiFi years ago the rule was always work from the source forwards ie. spend as much as possible on the input then the amp then the speakers.

Better the signal in, better the sound out.

So I would be looking at min of 50/50 split but more like 60/40 in favour of the amp. But the golden rule is listen to as many combos as possible, ideally from your own turntable.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive still got my Rega planner 3 turntable, Creek amp and Keff speakers i bought in the 80's, still work good as new, they still make all the same stuff. Only thing that didn't last was the Nakamichi tape player, though i still have it somewhere, it worked up until 2009.

Cd players on the other had, i've had at least 5 in that time and none lasted.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Note that virtually no amps these days have integrated phono stages for your Systemdeck input so you'll likely have to budget for an external one.

I'd get myself along to a decent local dealer and see what they have on offer. Check out the list of Naim, Linn or Rega dealers as a starting point for dealers that will see you right. Don't ignore used gear from reputable dealers as a possibility.

If you know what you want then http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/
is a hifi forum populated with decent folks and used gear come up all the time there. I've bought and sold loads there over the years and never had a problem.

cheers
ian

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Note that virtually no amps these days have integrated phono stages for your Systemdeck input so you'll likely have to budget for an external one.

I'd get myself along to a decent local dealer and see what they have on offer. Check out the list of Naim, Linn or Rega dealers as a starting point for dealers that will see you right. Don't ignore used gear from reputable dealers as a possibility.

If you know what you want then http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/
is a hifi forum populated with decent folks and used gear come up all the time there. I've bought and sold loads there over the years and never had a problem.

cheers
ian

Tyhanks for this - remninding me of the integrated phono stage aspect I have to accommodate.

I fret that I will spend £1000 on new gear and not hear much improvement over my Rotel RX-402 receiver / Dali Zensor1 combo

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless you are really after a significant change in the sound environment, I'd suggest that you don't change your speakers! They are a really good compromise between price and performance. Possibly even more importantly, they are 'wife friendly - being relatively unobtrusive!!

However, I would suggest that you bring yourself into the 90s and purchase a CD player! I've personally favoured Marantz or Denon in the past, but there are units for every price/style.

You might be able to simply use the Rotel as a tuner into an amp upgrade. Can't comment on which amp works best with the Zensors, but if you feel they lack bass (nopt normally an issue, even though small), then a (hidden!) sub-woofer could be the answer!

It's been a while since I've auditioned any Hifi gear, but it's quite possibly worth finding somewhere where that can be done! Note that what sounds 'best' in a shop won't necessarily sound best in a room - even with my slightly dubious hearing, I easily noticed that the structure of walls has a significant effect on how speakers (particularly) work in any room! The difference between what works in relatively small UK rooms - often with (or mainly) solid walls/floors - and what worked back home - with, in effect, moveable walls and floors - can be significant!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would seek out some advice and give them details of what you own currently, what you'll be using/playing through the system and also if you aim to stream music too.

Do you have decent needles on your turntable? Massive difference in the quality between poor needles and decent ones.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless you are really after a significant change in the sound environment, I'd suggest that you don't change your speakers! They are a really good compromise between price and performance. Possibly even more importantly, they are 'wife friendly - being relatively unobtrusive!!

However, I would suggest that you bring yourself into the 90s and purchase a CD player! I've personally favoured Marantz or Denon in the past, but there are units for every price/style.

You might be able to simply use the Rotel as a tuner into an amp upgrade. Can't comment on which amp works best with the Zensors, but if you feel they lack bass (nopt normally an issue, even though small), then a (hidden!) sub-woofer could be the answer!

It's been a while since I've auditioned any Hifi gear, but it's quite possibly worth finding somewhere where that can be done! Note that what sounds 'best' in a shop won't necessarily sound best in a room - even with my slightly dubious hearing, I easily noticed that the structure of walls has a significant effect on how speakers (particularly) work in any room! The difference between what works in relatively small UK rooms - often with (or mainly) solid walls/floors - and what worked back home - with, in effect, moveable walls and floors - can be significant!

Really useful thoughts sir!

I've got a CD player - a Marantz CD52 MkII Special Edition - a What HiFi Best Buy in it's 1993 hey-day - and it cost £299. I am guessing this is not too bad even by today's standards.

And as far as the pre-amp complexity where a new amp might not have a PHONO input - daft question coming - but I have the MC Cartridge pre-amp that I got with the turntable - will that work as the pre-amp for my MM cartridge - if you see what I mean.

Or could I use my Rotel as a pre-amp and FM feed into a new amp - if that's what you are suggesting?

I LOLd at your comment about the Zensor 1s being 'wife friendly' because I was only allowed to buy them on the grounds that they were small enough to not mess up our also small front room.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would seek out some advice and give them details of what you own currently, what you'll be using/playing through the system and also if you aim to stream music too.

Do you have decent needles on your turntable? Massive difference in the quality between poor needles and decent ones.

Got just one needle on my turntable - an Ortofon 2m Red

Only streaming I can see myself doing is internet radio - probably via my laptop

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
Had to go through the process of replacing an old 1980s amp a few years back. That took a fair bit of research in the various shops I visited. I ended up changing speakers as well as the modern speakers did match my new amp a lot better.

It is worse than golf club buying .... you have so many variables to test out 😉