You must attend the presentation :-(

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Thoughts on you must attend?

Most opens this year clubs have posted vouchers etc if you do any good. As the general idea, nobody attends if they miss out. Plus you play at 9am and live 40 mins away your not kicking about till 8pm are you ?

My verdict too old fashioned and jacket and tie is over the top in 2018. Its a hotel bar (at my club)for god sakes.

Am I being grumpy ? Nearing 45 so must be lol

I hate them 😕

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i can sort of see why this is the case. Though i don't think any of the opens ive been to locally do this.

my club started only giving prizes if you were in attendance at some of the friendly non counting comps, like our 4 man team thing tomorrow or some of the Christmas comps.

the reason was, when they used to do the presentation no one was there apart from the committee.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No one wants to sit around for 6 hours or drive back more than a certain distance, so Clubs need to be sensible about this...

Winter Open at Porthcawl, for instance, is a Shotgun Start, the prizes, then meal.... very sensible. They don't insist on jacket and tie, but most people shower and change and look reasonable.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
No one wants to sit around for 6 hours or drive back more than a certain distance, so Clubs need to be sensible about this...

Winter Open at Porthcawl, for instance, is a Shotgun Start, the prizes, then meal.... very sensible. They don't insist on jacket and tie, but most people shower and change and look reasonable.

Just my thought as well. 9.40 tee and last tee 3.15, I don't do ties after I quit my office job 😀 currently 2nd and working on a decent excuse #Traffic #Wife #TheKid #TooDrunk

Its only a 25 min drive and 15 miles ffs

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago the Captain paid for all the prizes on his 'Day' it was always a requirement that you had to be there to get the prize. His Competition his prizes his rules.

One of low handicappers had a real grump when he found his prize was given to someone else who had bothered to attend the prize giving.

Last Open I played in there were twelve prizes and only 3 pairs stayed to accept their winnings. The winners from 50 miles away who had gone out early and stayed all day, and two pairs who were members of the club.

D

Deleted member 15344

Was the situation known when you signed up to the Comp ?

Can understand it sometimes that they would like people to be there for Presentation but not when it’s not a shotgun start - that’s a bit silly. None of the Opens I have played in have demanded that you must be there for the presentation and any prize I have won has been posted or been picked up for me

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a few ladies opens that have a presentation, most will post out the winnings, the others are fine as long as you give your apologies that you cant attend.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Read a letter in another golf magazine of a winner on a Captains day got disqualified for not attending the prize giving.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Was the situation known when you signed up to the Comp ?

Can understand it sometimes that they would like people to be there for Presentation but not when it’s not a shotgun start - that’s a bit silly. None of the Opens I have played in have demanded that you must be there for the presentation and any prize I have won has been posted or been picked up for me

No info on presentation till we signed in at 9.25am and read the sheet on prizes etc. The one thing the club don't do well tbh.

Luckily well unlucky my 3 putt on 18 cost me the win and I slipped to 3rd with three tied on countback. So 3rd wasn't worth the trip back for a voucher. Looking at the pics nobody else turned up other than winner and late starters.

We have a monthly presentation set in the diary for monthly winners which is good 👍

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
No info on presentation till we signed in at 9.25am and read the sheet on prizes etc. The one thing the club don't do well tbh.

Luckily well unlucky my 3 putt on 18 cost me the win and I slipped to 3rd with three tied on countback. So 3rd wasn't worth the trip back for a voucher. Looking at the pics nobody else turned up other than winner and late starters.

We have a monthly presentation set in the diary for monthly winners which is good 👍

Being in the penultimate group I was at the presentation, as far as I can tell there was no requirement to attend in order to collect your prize so you'll receive your voucher.
No jacket and tie was required either, even the Captain presenting the prizes was dressed in a polo shirt.

The only comp at the club where you need to attend in order to collect your prize is the Fur & Feather, where most entrants hang around at the club anyway as it's a social/drinking event as much as anything, so you've been warned! ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being in the penultimate group I was at the presentation, as far as I can tell there was no requirement to attend in order to collect your prize so you'll receive your voucher.
No jacket and tie was required either, even the Captain presenting the prizes was dressed in a polo shirt.

The only comp at the club where you need to attend in order to collect your prize is the Fur & Feather, where most entrants hang around at the club anyway as it's a social/drinking event as much as anything, so you've been warned! ;)

Hmmm - Very much 2 sides to the story then!

On the wider aspects I believe it depends on the event; and organisers have a responsibility to both communicate and make arrangements appropriate.

Simple example would be where the prize table is sponsored and there's a sponsors message involved. Here they should ensure everyone gets in within an hour of each other, that catering is arranged promptly etc etc to my mind this is the only time it's really justified.

If clubs want to do it then shotgun start and immediate prize giving - anything else and it is unreasonable to expect everybody to be able to commit unlimited hours; it's that simple. To withhold first prize from someone who's never won anything before and has headed off to hospital because his wife's gone into labour isn't in the spirit of inclusive golf activity (the reason is irrelevant, it's a point of principle).

You may not disqualify someone for not attending the prize giving, so the winner is always the winner - but you can always muck around with the prizes as long as you set out the conditions before play starts (although you should set them out before entries are accepted!)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe this is why I have played lots of opens this year where the sheet has not been full.
We travel a lot to play and have always received vouchers etc in the post or collected next time we played.
Jacket and tie yes in majors! but just for a run of the mill open day no.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played a lot this year, most over an hour away and vouchers were sent on for our winnings. There was one where we I had a NP prize and they let me pick it up before main presentation as we had to go.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

Crow you a member or visitor ?

Happily received my £70 voucher for 3rd, and viewing the pic on twitter very casual presentation as you said 👍 stress over tbf I'd started on my Friday Stella intake so probably best stay at home 😱