Yonex

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Japanese brand original catering to the expensive and blingy end of the market. Big on graphite shafts. Sponsored Phil Mick, Monty (as mentioned) and Ryo Ishikawa (one time next big thing). Tried to go mass market a few times but never really managed to pull it off very successfully. The kit is high quality, with good components. If it works for you, no reason not to try it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had an ezone driver, very nice, shaft was good, reinforced regular allowing higher stability through greater swing speed range.
currently I picked up a hybrid evx which was brand new but released in 2014. It’s a really nice club, solid build quality

Crumplezone

Visit site
I've mostly had Yonex clubs. Currently got a mixture of Nanospeed i woods & hybrids and graphite shaft Nanospeed 3i irons. They have a reputation for being easy to hit, which I think is true. Especially the woods. Not got much to compare them to, but they seem nice to me. They were expensive when new, but got all mine used.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seem to remember that about 20 years ago they had a green driver that was a one piece unit. ie the shaft and head was a single unit and the shaft could not be removed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once upon a time they were the 'must have' drivers.

I had one with a boron graphite shaft and a carbon head (around the time a lot of the pros were still using steel shafts and persimmon heads). One of the best drivers I have ever owned.

They were a premium brand with prices that reflected this and hence never really made it to the mass market in the UK.

Every set I have looked at since then seems to have carried on with the quality.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've got a Yonex Hybrid in my 'at home' bag that works as well as expected/desired. Certainly comparable with the Titleist I have in my 'main' bag!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Once upon a time they were the 'must have' drivers.

I had one with a boron graphite shaft and a carbon head (around the time a lot of the pros were still using steel shafts and persimmon heads). One of the best drivers I have ever owned.

They were a premium brand with prices that reflected this and hence never really made it to the mass market in the UK.

Every set I have looked at since then seems to have carried on with the quality.
Not sure I'd go as far as being the "must have" and they definitely didn't have the take up on tour. Doubt they would ever have have a big recreational market share either so while they were a very good driver can't see why there "must have" Did I miss something?

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thanks for the replies. I just ordered a Yonex hybrid. Got what I think is a really good price so a little bit of a risk having not tried it but can’t be any worse that my current option....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a Yonex driver a few years back, it was a Nanospeed in 12°, because back then I couldn't drive at all so I wanted to try a 12° and found this one cheap on Ebay. It was an ugly thing, it did the job ok, but it sounded awful for some reason. A horrible high-pitched tinny sound when you hit it. In the end I sold it on to my dad because he was in the same boat, couldn't hit his driver so I thought he'd have more luck with more loft. He still uses it now and drives it better than he ever has before (even while the rest of his game is largely gone as he doesn't play much anymore). So yeah, decent club, awful sound.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure I'd go as far as being the "must have" and they definitely didn't have the take up on tour. Doubt they would ever have have a big recreational market share either so while they were a very good driver can't see why there "must have" Did I miss something?

I suppose it was a bit like PXG these days there were those that could afford them, hence the low market share based upon number of units sold.

Like any time clubs on tour depends on how much players are being paid to play them. Too long ago to remember who was playing what back then but there were some fairly obscure makes being played by some big name players e.g Maruman.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve got all Yonex, bought about three years back. My instructor had me trying Callaway and Yonex irons and he expected me to choose the Callaway but the Yonex Z Force felt better. I still really like them and the 10.5 driver.