Yet another countback question

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How is countback worked out in a 36 hole competition?

I played in round two of one of our major comps yesterday, played over consecutive Saturdays. Had an absolute nightmare on the front 9, but managed to pull things back together on the back 9 to end up bang on handicap and tie the overall lead.

A huge electrical storm came in as we were on the 18th tee and we literally played on the run back to the clubhouse and I double bogeyed the last. That, the truely shocking front 9 and the 1.5 cut I got from round 1 looks like costing me.

If it's back 9 then I am still in with a shout, back 18 and I am doomed!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It'll be in Conditions of Competition as it's not a Rules of Golf issue.

Traditionally, and recommended way is back 18; back 9; last 6; last 3, last 1.

In 36 hole comp, you handicap is not (normally) adjusted for the 2nd round.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yep, Foxholer has got it pretty much spot on. You do get the odd exception, for example a 36 hole competition played over 2 different courses. In these instances countback is normally decided over a designated course. This happens as Saunton where they have a two 36 hole opens each year, countback is decided on the East course card.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I thought this was a rules issue in that you play off the same handicap if the 36 holes are close by each other?

Good point. Not sure what happens though if you are playing in a 36 holer over 2 weekends, what if you play a midweek medal in between and get cut/go up? Can it be classed as a 36 hole event if played over 2 weekends? No idea....someone shed some light on this please.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can cause problems in this scenario there was a thread few weeks back (can suss out how to copy n paste a link on my iPhone) maybe try a search?
But I think you play the 36 hole comp second round off the same h/cap as the first but any other comps played in between are off an any adjusted h/cap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought this was a rules issue in that you play off the same handicap if the 36 holes are close by each other?

Rules and Handicaps are run by different orgs. The intersection is the 'Conditions of Competitions'. Generally 36-holers are off same (the initial) handicap. But where do you draw the line on 'close by each other'. Same day? Following day? The above was 1 week apart. I know of one that is a month between the 2 rounds! So that adjusts after 1st round. And where there is a competition, or Supplementary, played between the 2 'week apart' rounds, it's normal (required perhaps?) to take the adjustment from the first round into account for the in-between comp/round!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It'll be in Conditions of Competition as it's not a Rules of Golf issue.

Traditionally, and recommended way is back 18; back 9; last 6; last 3, last 1.

In 36 hole comp, you handicap is not (normally) adjusted for the 2nd round.

Seems Foxholer has it right here, I checked the rules for the comp when back at the club yesterday and it clearly states that handicap will be adjusted between rounds - ah well!