Xmas Present for a Golfer? Powerball?

Seasider

Visit site
Hello,

I, myself, do not play the game but have come here as the son of a 60+ year old golfer who plays off 5 or 6 (and has done since his school days) in search of suggestions for a suitable Christmas present for my father.

Being a keen windsurfer I can well appreciate that my father will already have spent time researching, and purchasing, the equpiment that he feels best suited to his current style of play necessary to suit his twice-a-week+ rounds, and so I have no intention of purchasing a new putter/wet weather gear (for e.g) for him.

(Were the situation reversed I know that despite all the intended goodwill my family/friends would have no idea of which wave board would be best for me/which size and type of new sail I would get most use/enjoyment out of to sit between my 4.7sqm wave sail, and 5.8sqm slalom sail...etc)

However, I would really like it to be the thought that counts this year and so rather than me ending up a week before Christmas with no present ideas (and so inevitably the socks/handerchief/etc situation arising) I thought it best for me to seek advice.

Would the aforementioned PowerBall be a tool that could increase/extend a person's golfing level/life?

My father suffers from slight tennis elbow so would the powerball be beneficial, or detrimental?

Other than the Powerball, do any forum users here have any other suggestions? (i.e. what present would a 50/60 year old golfer be happy to open from their 30 year old son come December 25th?)

Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seasider isn't too clear about his Dad's age. At the start of the message he's 60+ but rejuvenates himself to 50-60 by the end. Maybe he already has a ''Powerball'' and for Xmas would be chuffed with a few TopFlites.

Seasider

Visit site
Sorry for the confusion, but my Dad is 63 years old, but to me a young 63 year old hence the mention of 50/60 years old.

I'm sure a couple of golf balls would be appreciated and soon used, as would a gift card for the Pro shop, but I really want to give something that is unusual and not the equivalent of 'book tokens/spare socks'

Ideally I'd love to give a present that has the double whammy of being something my father wouldn't buy for himself BUT would actually use (rather than a pack of golf balls that he would/will/does buy for himself.)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Seasider,

No..no..no.. step away from the Powerball.

We golf nuts all know about the golfing Xmas presents given by non golfers. I have a drawer full of useless Xmas gifts and gadgets bought at Next and other such outlets.

Get him something he'll appreciate. Save your money on the tat and buy him a green fee for a round at a nice course instead. Print out a home made gift voucher saying you're due him a game at a really nice course he has been dying to play.

Most golfers I know would love you for that!

P

pingpal

Powerball is only £12 on Ebay.
For something more substantial how about a practice net, if the old man has a garden. I have one and use it quite a lot through the season just to keep the golf muscles tuned up.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Powerball is a wicked training tool for golfers, but not a Xmas pressie, Go with what John_Findlay suggested. Or you Could book him some lessons etc.

If anybody wants to give me anything for Xmas ill have a set of the Wilson Staff pi7 irons please. Thank you.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My 37 year old son had a power ball for Xmas a couple of years ago. He blames it for contibuting to tennis elbow of such intensity that he couldn't play golf for months.

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it helps, for my birhtday this year my girlfriend booked me a round at Kingsbarns and made up a voucher on the computer, was well chuffed. On the morning we were leaving i picked up my voucher thinking i had better take this or i wont get to play, my GF was p***ing her self laughing then proceeded to tell me she had made it up on the computer.

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
madandra, have done that on the email she just tells me to pi55 off!!

I had actually forgotten about it until i read the post, now the old cogs are working on revenge!!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I told my girlfriend I had met someone very special and was going to marry her and she slapped me. The silly moo didn't realise I was refering to HER. Thank F*** she didn't slap me with the hand the engagement ring was on, I would have looked like the bugger from the kames bond movie 'die another day'.