Would this work?

pablo123

Club Champion
Visit site
Morning folks!

I got a good deal on a newish i15 9.5 driver. It's a regular shaft but all my other clubs are stiff. Would you be able to cut an inch off the tip to make it stiff? Don't really wanna pay 80 squid for the stiff version of the shaft.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cutting an inch off will upset the shaft characteristics and not very often for the good. If you got it at a good price, put it in the cupboard and wait until you do get a better shaft in it, or sell it and buy what you can use.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What you can, or should, do with it depends a lot on the shaft. You need advice from an experienced clubfitter.

Is it the Ping or UST shaft?

I found that the UST shaft came up a bit "firmer" than the Ping shaft so a "regular" in that might be similar to a "stiff" in the Ping standard one.

pablo123

Club Champion
Visit site
Bobmac I have a clubhead speed of 100mph but I have a negative angle of attack -5. Right now I'm only hitting it 240max because of the negative angle of attack.

I've had a hit with it yeah and it goes real high and left but sometimes right

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have a ss of 100, the Ping Reg would certainly be far far too soft, but the UST is a more solid shaft.

As far as I know, the UST shaft in the Ping is a special one made for Ping, but the standard version of the Red shaft has a swing speed range for Stiff of about 95-105, so on the face of it, Stiff would be a good choice.

http://www.ustmamiya.com/shaft_fitting/

Before you go at it with a Dremel, I would get some professional advice. You could break the shaft or render it unusable, and certainly could end up with some odd and equally poor fitting shaft.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You could hit it but it wouldn't be the right club for you. Smiffy has one with a regular shaft and I've hit it OK a few times (108mph swing speed) but if I REALLY lean on it a bit it could go anywhere. There are two issues, 1 is the control and 2 is the spin rate, too whippy and you'll probably be imparting over 3000rpm. Even if you are knocking it down the middle of every fairway you might be cheating yourself out of 20+yds.