Worst Tackle Ever? Not For The Faint Hearted

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This guy should be locked up for this tackle. Happened on Sunday during match between Standard Liege and Anderlecht.

Ouch!!

http://i29.tinypic.com/33e1wfd.gif

Latest from Belgium:

BRUSSELS, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Standard Liege midfielder Axel Witsel has been suspended until Nov. 23 for a foul that resulted in Anderlecht's Polish defender Marcin Wasilewski suffering a double fracture of his right leg on Sunday.
Witsel, who won Belgium's "Golden Shoe" for best player in 2008, will be ineligible for the next 10 league matches and a round of the Belgian Cup. He was also fined 2,500 euros ($3,590) by the Belgian FA on Tuesday.
Witsel, 20, could additionally miss Standard's first four Champions League matches should European soccer's governing body UEFA extend the ban to their competition.
Wasilewski, 29, was sent off for stamping on Witsel in the 25th minute of Anderlecht's 1-1 draw at home to Standard.
The incident has been the lead item on television news and pictures of Wasilewski's contorted lower leg have been splashed across Belgian newspapers.
Witsel has received emailed death threats, which the police are taking seriously, according to Belgian media.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Locked up is an under statement ,that guy should never play football again ,IMO thats a cowards so called tackle, my brother was the victim of a tackle the same as that 10 years ago he had to get the bottom of his leg amputated as a result his leg was that badly shattered

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You don't get to see the aftermath thankfully but you can tell from the reactions on the faces of the others in the clip how bad it must have been.

To be fair it was a horrendous tackle but there have been worse (Roy Keane!) and whilst I can understand the Belgium FA clamping down I disagree with UEFA having to get involved too. I'm not condoning what is obviouls y a premeditated action and thisn that the player will struggle in the game over there from now on and will certainly become a marked man with fellow players looking for retribution

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gotta disagree with you there Homer, I think this one was a lot worse than Keanes, yes his was bad and pre-meditated but dont think he ever thought he would do the damage he did, but any player jumping in like this knows that they gonna do some serious damage and in all likleyhood end a players career.

If UEFA think Eduardo deserves a 2 match ban for falling over then they must surely hand out a severe ban on this guy. Tackles like this must be seen to be dealt with very strongly to try to rid the game of this kind of thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keane has already admitted he was looking to end the City players career (forget his name). There are a few of these tackles in the premiership each year where a player dives in over the top. There must be a similar number across Europe and whilst I accept that punishment must be severe, I don't think Uefa are going to do much especially if a player/team isn't involved in European competitions. Obviously in the case the Liege player will be and so I can see the reasoning but personally I think it should be kept inside each FA.

As I said some tackles are very much pre-meditated and career wreckers but I've seen similar ones in all four divisions in England and would say a number have been 100% accidental.

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
put it one way if that was my team mate who was injured like that the other bloke would also have to be carried off the pitch

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing accidental about this one I feel, yes a player can genuinely go in hard for the ball and go over the top but this guy makes no attempt to play the ball, he was no where near making contact with it.

My 16 year old plays a good standard of football but if I seen him making a tackle like that I personally would not let him play again while he was living under my supervision.

I love nothing more than a good hard, physical football match but that was just a cowardly assault by a perpetrator who knew he, himself could not suffer any injury by going in how he did.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am just waiting for his manager, and Alen Hansen et al to come out and say 'he's not really that type of player, so any ban seems a bit harsh'.

Martin Taylor any one?

cshaw33

Medal Winner
Visit site
sorry to say it but that lads career is over. Remember David Busst anyone - playing for Coventry against Man U, his leg broke in the same place and he never played again.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The David Busst tackle was unfortunate but was a fair and honest challenge between a few players.

The reaction of Schmeichel told its own story--he just ran away from the scene.

Our belgian guy should be suspended fo the length of time it takes for is victim to recover, if that means a life ban because the victim cannot resume his career so be it.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
The ref from the Busst game was on radio the other week and said that the marrow from his bone poured out like cloudy jelly and that is why he got the infection. I agree this thug should be out as long as the poor guy on the receiving end.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry that tackle is just criminal pure and simple.

If I'd done that kind of damage intentionally to someone else on the street I'm pretty damn sure I'd be arrested. So how can he get away with this on a football pitch !

Do laws not apply there ?

I sure something similar happened in the UK a few years back and there were charges. Can't remember the teams though.

Smigger79

Club Champion
www.styrrupgolf.co.uk
If that's how somebody tackles then they are not fit to play football.
I've had four leg breaks from football, the last left an inch of bone sticking out of my shin. That was bad enough for me but when it's your job it must be devastating.
I made a full recovery from that so hopefully this guy does the same.