WITB.... or what’s under the head covers?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I noticed yesterday that rose had the older m1 in the bag which I believe was a late 16 early 17 model, deshambles has been playing a king despite cobras various newer models and stenson has returned to his old faithful octane 3w.

For me Rose has played ever newer models of TM woods while being a staff player, but since leaving TM and going as a free agent he has gone back 5/6 years technology, clearly this shows that most of the new stuff has no gain even for a ex world #1. Same with stenson, how many 3w’s have callaway launched in 15 years?

Do we as club golfers need to stop moving every two years and simply stick with what works and not what’s pretty?

I still say that selling my 2011 tm cb’s in 2014 after my best golfing year in favour of the 2014 mc’s despite being fitted will remain my biggest golfing mistake.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's something to be said for sticking with something that you're comfortable with and what works for you. Ultimately a top pro could probably hit any club so they'll happily just go with what's comfortable. In Bryson's case didn't he say the new Cobra wasn't hard-wearing enough or something for the speed he was hitting? Rose was on top of his game 3 or 4 years ago, so after messing about with Honma stuff and dropping down the rankings, it makes sense that he'd default back to something he knows he was playing well with.

As for Stenson, hearing that he's gone back to his old three wood brings joy to my heart. I thought he broke the last one which is why he finally moved on from on a year or two ago? He must have found another one on Ebay or something. :LOL: But most golfers know a good fairway wood can be the hardest thing to find one that works, so when you find it you stick with it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's something to be said for sticking with something that you're comfortable with and what works for you. Ultimately a top pro could probably hit any club so they'll happily just go with what's comfortable. In Bryson's case didn't he say the new Cobra wasn't hard-wearing enough or something for the speed he was hitting? Rose was on top of his game 3 or 4 years ago, so after messing about with Honma stuff and dropping down the rankings, it makes sense that he'd default back to something he knows he was playing well with.

As for Stenson, hearing that he's gone back to his old three wood brings joy to my heart. I thought he broke the last one which is why he finally moved on from on a year or two ago? He must have found another one on Ebay or something. :LOL: But most golfers know a good fairway wood can be the hardest thing to find one that works, so when you find it you stick with it.

I read somewhere this week that it’s pga trade in value even with the upgrade shaft was $16.50, love it!

As you say it explains why the older 2000 series burners and v steels are still so popular

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My current 3 wood is a Titleist 980 f. Its battered and been repainted a number of times. The paint on the shaft is worn in more places than not. But, it works well from lots of lies. I'll honestly feel like I've somehow betrayed it if I ever get a new one.

IMG_20210409_121049_edit_161038563531677.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thomas Bjorn kept a TM Firesole fairway in the bag for years after the were a discontinued model.

Like Imurg's fellow member I use non descript headcovers (partly because I hate the ones that come with modern clubs)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it depends, these guys are middling the majority of shots, for them it is more about feel and what suits the eye and may have developed some level of comfort and memorable shots they can refer to with that specific club.

Modern tech isn’t adding much in the way of distance but it is allowing people to get somewhat more consistency with off centre strikes (possibly). With clubs/balls gear having to conform I don’t see how new releases can bring much more to the table myself.

I don’t buy into the tech nowadays and all these buzz words they pull together, I do like treating myself to new gear that’s why I do it personally.