Winter wheels

BennyBoy85

Visit site
After much deliberation (and the 20% ebay discount being offered currently), I've finally bought a Powakaddy.
However, it's probably not the best time of year to start using it as my home course insists on winter wheels from next weekend.

On that point, can anybody vouch for the hedgehog wheel covers that can be bought via amazon or ebay for around £25?
Or should I be looking at spending the £70-80 on an official set of wheels direct from the manufacturer that seem easier to swap etc when required.

D

Deleted member 23344

I had the hedgehog covers on my motocaddy wheels for a while ... they were OK, but I found that I had to fix them to the wheel with self tapping screws to keep them on, which meant that it defeated the object a little in that you couldn't swap them off and on easily. in the end, I opted for proper winter wheels and now I just swap them off and on as and when needed ... only takes seconds.

Doodle

Visit site
The hedgehog covers don't work very well & are difficult to keep on the wheels.
Replacement hedgehog wheels are the best option.
Saying that, I have used ordinary wheels & hedgehog wheels in winter on an electric trolley & in my opinion hedgehog wheels make no difference whatsoever.
Why golf clubs insist on them puzzles me.
If it's that wet they seem hedgehog wheels are required, they would be better off making it carry only.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Clubs, sometimes, have to balance trolley bans with keeping members playing.
At my last club there was hardly ever a trolley ban.
I asked the Head Greenkeeper why and he said that if they banned trolleys virtually nobody would play and revenue would drop.
A bit short sighted in my view but business is business..
We're quite fortunate that we hardly ever need to ban trolleys, although there were a few days of Carry only last winter, as we're fairly undulating and some of the slopes are downright steep.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A few pairs of the powakaddy winter wheels recently sold on ebay for £20 which would my pref. Had mine a few years and will be swapping them in this weekend.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was using my Go-Kart until last winter and had bought three hedgehog wheels as the previous greenkeeper insisted on them in the winter (or at least advised the club). The new guy we've had for the last three years isn't so sure and so for the last two years we've not had hedgehog wheels but have been firmer on banning trollies and going to carry only

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I’ve got the powakaddy winter wheels and keep them on all the time. I’m not actually sure where the summer ones are

D

Deleted member 23344

Trolley ban at my place today ... first of many such days I suspect. No chance to even fit the winter wheels this year!