Windows 8.1

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
I just updated to windows 8.1 from 8 - what an awful mistake to have made. I was reluctant to upgrade when 8.1 was first released in case there were any teething problems but I thought they would have been solved by now, clearly not.

When the upgrade finished installing the PC just kept crashing and saying there was an error.
Eventually I managed to get the PC to stay on but it is running so much slower with many drivers not working and when I attempt to update them the PC crashes again.

I'm so sick of windows.

Anyone else had this sort of problem?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is one of the patches they released last? week. Try a google search on it to get the update number and uninstall the update. MS recognise the problem but still won't pull the update.

Why not throw a partition on your HD and have Linux on ;)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think it is one of the patches they released last? week. Try a google search on it to get the update number and uninstall the update. MS recognise the problem but still won't pull the update.

Why not throw a partition on your HD and have Linux on ;)

This, try running a Ubuntu 14 live disk/USB flash stick first, kind of like a try before you buy (only it is free!)
I have it running on my old laptop, flies compared to windows and had no issues picking up all hardware.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a newish laptop that came with Windows 8.1 and I hate it. Apple must be getting a lot of new customers now.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rewind the update.

Find your last restore point it necessary. It happens now and again. There was one on windows 7 which caused similar trouble.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been running 8.1 from the day it came out and have not had one single problem. Download classic shell is my advice I give to all win8 users, don't use the 'app' based home page. To be honest it looks like I am using XP to the untrained eye, but with SSD and startup times of sub 10 seconds.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
This, try running a Ubuntu 14 live disk/USB flash stick first, kind of like a try before you buy (only it is free!)
I have it running on my old laptop, flies compared to windows and had no issues picking up all hardware.

I have the choice of 5 OS's although 2 or 3 might not be entirely user friendly :whistle:

Seriously Ubuntu (it does have some flaws!) is pretty good. I also like the fact that pretty much everything is free like DVD burning software. Using it as a live boot for a trial is a good idea and it is what I do with 2 different OS's.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No problems running Windows 8.1 here. It may be inferior to OSX (not that that doesn't have its own issues) but at roughly a third of the price for a new PC it's a no brainer in my eyes.

I have Ubuntu on a dual boot but to be honest the odd thing that is unsupported on Ubuntu is enough to put me off a permanent change, and I don't see a remarkable speed difference.

G

guest100718

Ive had no issues with 8.1 either. Also plenty of free software out there for it. Linux is OK and you can get distros that launch from a USB stick or DVD if you just want to get a taste of it and mess about without installing dual boot etc. If you've got a ton of cash to waste then get a MAC.