why does't practice make perfect

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because fairways are narrower than ranges, have less trees, rough and you dont get to hit the same shot 10 times.
Ive wondered this before but decided I needed to narrow down my imaginary fairway as "fairly" straight at a driving range could be missing fairways on the course and leave you with a poor lie or hindered by obstacles.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum. Great first question.

A lot of it has to do with being able to pick a specific target on the course to narrow your focus. At the range there is a huge potential area to landd the ball. Also there is the question of ownership. If you hit a slcie/hook/fade/draw or sky or top it there is no issues of ownership as the shot has no consequence. On the course you have one go (plus reloads) but in essence there is nowhere to hide.

If I'm playing well it isn't an issue but if I'm playing badly I do try and remember a good range session and the feeling I had as I swung the club. If possible I try and remember hitting a good range shot and focus on that before playing my real one on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say that is the one huge negative about ranges. It gives you a perfect lie everytime. My advice would be to use the practice ground at your club (if it has one) or a range somewhere with a grass facility to use and learn how the club reacts in different lies. There is no short cut and nothing replicates playing off grass

hughmanera

Visit site
What tips do you suggest to take the stress out of "having to make the shot" which seems to be the reason I cant repeat the clean contact

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think a good pre-shot routine would help but it needs to be something that is natural and not contrived. For me I have a line a yard behind the ball. I'll assess my shot and pull my club accordingly. From there I'll put my golve on which is my trigger to think about the shot and once I step over the imaginery line I'm committed to the shot. I'll take my address, look once at the target and swing. Once I've seen the ball finish I'll clean my club and put it in the bag. Once I've taken my glove off its my cue that the shot is finished and to forget about it.

The thing with any sort of pre-shot routine (mine sounds more convoluted written than it is in reality) is that it gives you a mental trigger and something that you can feel comfortable with over the ball. Follow your routine, trust in your swing and let the shot go

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do I find it so difficult to repeat the practice shots I can do on the range when I get on the course?

Practice does make perfect....as long as you know what to practice

I SHOULD KNOW :cool:

But it takes time and energy....more than most of us have to give.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why do I find it so difficult to repeat the practice shots I can do on the range when I get on the course?

Practice does make perfect....as long as you know what to practice

Or as I was told it :

Practise doesn't make perfect. Practise makes permanent.

I'm guessing that when you practise you get into a state of relaxing and just hitting balls, but on the course you are trying to do everything perfectly, and letting tension get into your game.

When you practise do you replicate the course as much as possible ? Walk away from the mat every shot, and be as consistant in your preshot routine as Homer suggests ?

I don't.

But I'm in the habit of too many swing thoughts on the course. I haven't been playing enough to get fully relaxed over the ball. I tend to think about how far from the ball I'm setting up, then making sure my grip is ok, then lining the club up, then rechecking my grip, checking my feet and shoulders are alingned, then thinking about getting into the correct position halfway back, then at the top. Then starting the downswing and keeping the lag.

And then trying to hit the ball :D

I think I play better when I relax and just let my body hit it, without too much brain input.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As you can imagine I spend quite a lot of time on ranges and see a lot of people 'practicing'.
Some turn up with 30 balls and their driver. They spend 10 minutes bashing them all over the place and then go home.
That's great if you've had a really bad day or an arguement with your boss, but for golf its not ideal.
Others turn up on a cold January night at 7 o'clock and spend an hour grooving a bad swing. They are obviously keen because they are out there in the cold, but practice makes perfect? doubtful.
I think it's the old 'men dont ask for directions syndrome'
'I'm going to fix this swing myself if it kills me'.
Others DO have lessons and are given drills to practice. These are the people who use their practice time constructively and DO improve their golf.
As Homer said, it's easier if you can do your practice on grass for obvious reasons.
When you are confident you can play the shot off grass, take that confidence onto the course.
After all if Golf in 90 % between the ears, how important IS confidence? :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The night before we played The Addington earlier this year, a mate of mine (plays off 9 and hits the ball miles) spent an hour or two down the range. He was hitting the ball like God, especially with his driver. Blitzing the ball he was, spanking it miles with a lovely draw.
The following day he played like an absolute knob. I think he hit possibly 3 or 4 fairways all morning, and more often than not was chipping out from behind trees or bushes.
I felt sorry for him.... ;) ;) ;)